Anne Rice quits Christianity - announces it on her FB page!

Author Anne Rice today courageously announced this on her Facebook Fan Page: 

"For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else."

She followed up by stating: 

"As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen."

Very interesting, don't you agree?

Tags: Anne, Rice

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

<3 <3 :)
Well, she only "returned" to Catholicism in 2005. Supposedly she was an atheist before that.

So WTF happened to her in 2005 to make her go back to religion? Apparently she had some near fatal medical issues that year, perhaps that was part of it.

And then what happened in 2010 to make her change her mind again? And why still cling to the Christ part of the myth? Maybe she's already too heavily invested in it?

I don't get the impression that these reversals are based on evidence and reason.
So WTF happened to her in 2005 to make her go back to religion? Apparently she had some near fatal medical issues that year, perhaps that was part of it.

I remember hearing that it was the death of her husband which made her renounce her evil ways and turn to Christianity. I think that I also remember hearing her regret the writing of all of her books which dealt with vampires, witches, and the occult; it was in an interview around the time that she released her new book on Jesus.

But I don't have any better source for this info other than my admittedly questionable memory.
People are so unstable.

When I was 19 year old, I had a friend who found Jesus. He underwent an abrupt and drastic personality shift. He became the type that, when you asked how he was, he would tell you that he was living his life for Jesus.

Sometimes, I don't understand people.
Sometimes, I don't understand people.

You are doing better than me; only sometimes do I actually understand people. I spend the majority of my time in a silent, internal facepalm.
silent, internal facepalm

Haha! Oh, you are not alone there, I assure you.
"I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life."

Well that was pretty well-put for someone who apparently doesn't realize that belief in Christ makes you a Christian. She's seen the light, though, apparently. :D
It means that she's spiritual!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Simon Paynton 1 hour ago. 8 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.