Anne Rice quits Christianity - announces it on her FB page!

Author Anne Rice today courageously announced this on her Facebook Fan Page: 

"For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else."

She followed up by stating: 

"As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen."

Very interesting, don't you agree?

Tags: Anne, Rice

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good for her for realizing the hypocrisy of the church.
Sounds like she is on her way!
Sweet, maybe now she can get back to writing vampire fiction. I think Lestat needs to come back and kill the entire Cullen clan. (Wait, did Lestat die in the series? I haven't read it since the mid-90s.)
hello shine :D *always lovely to hear from you*
Hi hi! I've been away from the internets for over a month now; I feel like I'm on another planet, lol! (I'm not anywhere interesting; I just haven't had time and my PC exploded last week.)
Quite powerful words:

"As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen."
Anyone taking bets on Stephenie Meyer quitting Mormonism?
Nah, the whole virtuous virginal vampire thread is woven too tightly into Meyer's series. Anne Rice has always had a strong undercurrent of sex running through her books; besides the vampire and witch series, she also wrote a set of erotic rewrites of classic fairy tales. Although Meyer does write about vampires which are technically "evil" according to Christian doctrine, I think that she skirts the issue with her portrayal of a platonic heterosexual couple as the ideal teenage relationship. Take out the bloodsucking and the entire Twilight series is an overdramatized abstinence-only campaign.
Take out the bloodsucking and the entire Twilight series is an overdramatized abstinence-only campaign.

Precisely. Because my bet would have been "no" -- especially while her books are still making money. Which, in retrospect, kinda means I was setting someone up for this, which makes me a jerk. Sorry about that. :-)
No need for apologies! I love analyzing pop fiction. :D Speaking of which, have you ever read any of the Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture series? I've read the ones on House and Alice in Wonderland but have yet to muster up the cajones to purchase the one for Twilight. Maybe i'll have to bribe a thirteen-year-old to buy it for me so that I can avoid the embarrassment of purchasing Twilight paraphernalia. ;)
Speaking of which, have you ever read any of the Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture series?

Now, wow! Thank you for the pointer!

Do you know Martin Gardner's amazing Annotated Alice book/books? The Definitive Edition is best.
Ooo I hadn't seen those before; now I want! Thanks. :)

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service