I posted this on my blog but realized I should have made it a discussion topic...sorry if this annoying, I'm new to the site!

I hope some of you have watched this series 'Ancient Aliens'.  I bring it up here, because the 'experts' that are interviewed remind me of supposed experts in the fields of creationism and relgion.

Have any of you watched it?  Like a fking train wreck, I try but I can't look away!  For those who haven't seen it, 'experts' on possible ancient extra-terrestrial visitors discuss how certain hard-to-explain structures or works of art may have come to be.

Take the Egyptian pyramids for example.  An expert will claim something such as "there is simply no way that people 5,000 years ago could have built these pyramids", without any real explanation as to WHY they could not have done it, and immediately jump to the conclusion that they must have been visited by super intelligent aliens who gave them the technology and engineering expertise needed to build such a thing.  They go further and surmise that the reason for the mysterious air shafts running through the Great Pyramid were possibly hydrogen refueling stations for alien spacecraft.  They then provide absurd drawings and examples of how such a thing would work.  They never seem to ask the logical question: why did the aliens stop helping us?  why/how did we lose these technologies?  why is it that the aliens would teach ancient egyptians how to build a hydrogen storage and refueling station, but none of the technology of how to build a hydrogen fueled craft of their own was ever passed on?

It reminds me very much of a believer blindly following what they read in (or are told is in) the bible.  Not thinking for themselves.  Not using REASON.

I really don't know where I am going with this post, just curious what, if anything, others here might think about this show and creationists/believers/blind faith in general?

Views: 873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got the idea now! seems to be science fiction..wow I like these things!

Thanks, nice post Tex :)

i actually kinda enjoyed watching the 1st season, after that everything got wayyy too cheesy, cant handle watching it anymore, maybe just for kicks

Just keep in mind that one of the 'experts' (Giorgio A. Tsoukalos) they interview has a degree in sports information communications. He's also one of the producers of the show. When they interview him, they never actually reveal his credentials, but you can find them on his website here: http://www.legendarytimes.com/giorgio/

What really amazes me is that they find human-type faces or other anthropocentric designs throughout the world, and go 'look! they look similar! must be aliens!' As if aliens would have a human shape and human faces. I'd be more impressed if they'd found repetitions of things that aren't already commonplace.

Tsoukalos is either delusional, a charlatan, or some combination of the two.  He loves to see something which either cannot be explained yet, or which has been explained in a way that does not satisfy him, and then says that it obviously must be the work of super intelligent aliens!

I guess I wouldn't be so annoyed if the series were on SyFy or some other such fantasy channel.  The fact that it is aired on the History Channel probably leads some more malleable minds to believe their theories hold water.

The History Channel has irked me for some time now. They have a tendency to run a lot of show like this one that are more about building up the hype rather than honest inquiry into a topic.

at least some good things have come out of this show.

Like these pictures.

Hahaha! I laugh at all those pictures that ask a question then at the bottom says ALIENS. It reminds me of the Bear Grylls "Better drink my own piss" pictures.

Luv the one with the tiger - Come closer.......

I watched it a while back and thought it was hilarious.  I actually laughed out loud when they said the "manna from heaven" came from a machine that made food out of algae....if I remember correctly.  Like Christians, they are just making it up as they go along.

Cathy, What do you think of this video below,

I think it's hilarious :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s035c-5HgYU&feature=player_embedded

Was Jesus Christ an alien hybrid? :)

Thanks

Amazing article! and as what the writer said, nothing is impossible, only improbable..

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 7 minutes ago. 95 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service