Anarchism: threat or menace? (Scott Graves, this means you)

Okay, forgive me the attention-getting headline. 

Scott Graves has proclaimed himself an anarchist. I went through this phase for about a year when I was in my late teens. Since then, I think I've come to my senses. But I'm willing to give it a second look.

So, Scott, you have a lonely task ahead of you explaining...

that anarchism is a viable, workable, and sustainable political system

how an anarchistic country can participate in international relations 

whether anarchy is compatible with anarchism

indeed, in what sense and how can a country be a country under anarchism?

...as well as any other questions TA'ers may pose.

Views: 924

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Scott, Proudhomme said "Property is theft." The entire world began starting belonging to no one. That is one anarchist position. Is it right or wrong, and why?

Talk about niggling every little detail.  It's like talking to my 14 year old son who argues every single instruction you tell him.  Right now he's on a 15 minute screed about "irregardless vs. regardless".  I simply can't keep up with responding to everyone and I'm not going to spend the kind of time explaining every detail of what I think.  This is a forum, not a psychiatrists couch.  

Me = Anarchist willing to negotiate to Libertarian.  Thus when I vote, I vote Libertarian.  I don't see a lot of Anarchist candidates on the ballot.    

Penn and Teller = Libertarian definitely and Anarchist maybe.  Depends on how you interpret some of their public statements.  I wasn't going to commit a sin by calling them Anarchists if they are more toward Libertarian than Anarchist.  To be fair I've heard them accused of both and they seem to conciser neither to be an insult.  

The difference between a political philosophy and a religious philosophy is the willingness to negotiate.  I can accept some wiggle room as long as things don't go way out of my comfort zone.  Liberals, like Christians, can't compromise.  It's their way or the highway.  Thus it's another lead weight in the big old bucket swinging the scale toward religion instead of political philosophy.  

Also there seems to be a lot of garbage being tossed in my Anarchist bucket.  An + Archy.  No government.  How hard is that to understand?  

An unwillngness to compromise is characteristic of radicals. Radicals of any persuasion. For a radical, dogmatic purity is more important than actually accomplishing anything. Quite frankly, that sounds like you.

The difference between political philosophy and religious philosophy is simply the philosophical questions they address. It has nothing to do with negotiation. Philosophers do philosophy which isn't a negotiation, it's an inquiry and dialog.

Penn, by the way, is very much an atheist. Do some Youtubing. Teller? I don't know. I would assume so because he's also a skeptic.

We don't really care if you respond as long as you read and learn.

"No government" is ambiguous. It can mean not being governed (which anyone can have by simply being ungovernable), not having a government (administrative body), or it can mean the absence of a state, a state implying dominion over some real estate.

Either way, most people who have experienced anarchy (and lived to talk about it) would not care to return to it. And what was it you said about if 10% of people don't want something?

Do you people READ what I write or just jump in with the name calling and rude comments?

Unwillingness to compromise?  Did I not write in the post just above you that I am willing to compromise and vote Libertarian? 

I said Penn is an Atheist, like me.  Very much like me since I really only disagree with his pacifism, I don't think violence is the only answer but it clearly is an answer.  I'll shoot someone who is stealing my stuff while he wouldn't.

While most folks want some level of collective organization to deal with certain problems 90% don't want the massively intrusive federal government we have today.  When polled about support for various federal agencies and programs very few programs make even 50% much less 90%.  Under a 90% rule the drug war wouldn't exist and that alone would be worth it.

See...you are able to supply a relevant statistic that actually has something to do with your argument. Well done. You get a little star.

Too bad there are almost never any policies that 90% of the population would support. Please...by all means...do some research and show us enough cases of polls with 90% of citizens supported policies...representing enough policies that could conceivably support of complex society.

If you can do that...I'll chew my own words and happily take back everything I've said. 

Well, his 90% sure sounds like a figure he pulled out of his ass or heard in one of the anarchist or conservative bubbles he frequents. Any actual polls showing people are fed up with intrusive government? No, not from him so far.

Also, interpreting polls is difficult. Many people would cite the US Postal Service as an example of a bad government program. I would wager that most of these people have never experienced a foreign postal service. 

If I pop a stamped letter in the mailbox here in Portland, chances are it'll be in Florida in two days, three at most, without paying for any expedited service.

My German ex-wife's parents visited the US for a month years ago and were blown away by that fact. In Germany, at least at that time, it took longer than that for mail to go from Bremen to Munich—and Germans are noted for their efficiency.

So, simply because people dislike something in polls, it doesn't follow that they are right.

If I post something in Spain or Belgium...it arrives the next day with first class (1 euro) and two working days in 2nd class (80c). If you want it 99% guaranteed you register it for 3 euros and if you want it 100% guaranteed then it's 25 euros even to mountain villages. Rather reasonable rates and rather reliable.

I worked in a few offices in London and if a client needed to send an invoice, if it was sent first class (anywhere in the UK) before a certain hour...it was almost always on my desk the next day.

Mail between countries on the continent are also swift in my experience. A 1 kilo package sent for 5 euros arrives in Belgium one or two working days later. Registered (15 euros) guaranteed to arrive direct to your door with a phone call in advance to confirm it.

A very nice feature at these post offices are...you can cash in government cheques and some non-government cheques, do international money orders, fill out certain kinds of government paper work (EU health care, passport applications, some tax forms etc) and some of them even lend money ahead of pay day at reasonable rates.

The Canadian postal system on the other hand....zheesh...did they ever crash and burn.

My example was from the late 1980's, so I'm sure a lot has changed. 

Recently, I've had a temp job where I see how much mail just one hospital puts out daily. Easily anywhere from 500 to 2000 pieces of mail a day. And that's just one business!

I have gained a lot of respect for what the US Postal Services accomplishes daily. People who complain about it have no clue.

One would think, with the typical large Western European country being less than twice the size of Colorado (France is more than twice), they'd be able to do overnight mail in the overwhelming majority of cases [the western European countries larger than Colorado are France, Spain, Sweden, Germany, Norway and Italy...and Germany was smaller before reunification].  I wouldn't expect much of rapid delivery to remote areas (like the north of Norway and Sweden, or many places in Colorado).  Of course our US post office has difficulty doing overnight in Colorado, it once took them seven days to move a rather urgent letter 20 miles, from my bank to me, and only one of those extra six days was due to the normal delay I experience living near a rural PO.  (Inbound mail is gathered in Colorado Springs, and rather than being delivered that day, it's put on a truck which goes out at 7PM to rural POs in the area, for overnight procssing...however outbound mail is therefore as fast as it would be in Colorado Springs...that's part of the price I pay to not deal with asshole neighbors.)  They've also lost Priority Mail I sent, apparently somewhere between Colorado Springs and Denver, though I wouldn't know because they don't track those very thoroughly. m Ironic, because I sent it priority mail in the belief that at least the durn thing would be tracked and managed better even if "1-3 days" is no better than what they advertise for first class. I don't use them that often to send things but their record is less than stellar.

That said, when the system does work, it works well, given the size of this country.   It's unfair to expect overnight delivery here, but it's quite fair to expect it in Western European countries.

No...you cannot expect a piece of mail from a village in Andalucia to arrive at a village in Galicia to happen guaranteed over night if it isn't registered with a high postage rate. Mail in my friends village in Castilla Leon is collected at 1800 and then sent to the provincial sorting centre (a 2 hour drive through only 50km through the mountainous valleys)...which is then sent to one of the few hubs in the country by road and highspeed rail. Registered post is sorted first and sent off, then first class post and then second class. If it is then going to a small village in Andalucia, it passes through a provincial sorting centre and then on through the villages. There are over 50,000 small towns/villages spread out rather evenly over the whole country and a lot of lot of lot of hamlets. It is impossible to imagine how they could make this go faster without having thousands of dedicated trucks sending post from a couple villages straight to Madrid (which can easily be an 8 hour trip from the most southern villages or North Western ones). That would be a lot of lot of trucks and drivers. If we didn't have the high speed rail lines...it would go even slower. I'm not even including the Baleric Islands or the Canary Islands or the African Enclaves which are upto 2,000km away.

I thought myself that things could have gone faster until my friend who works at Correos (in the e-post department) told me things will actually start to slow down even more for 2nd class services and prices will go up a lot more) as snail mail is becoming less common and more expensive to maintain...as they are obliged to serve every place in the country...even if a very long voyage delivers mail to just one person or picks up mail in an empty box. They are focusing all of their investment into courier service, online sales platforms for companies and data management.

Shorter posts get more thoroughly read than verbal diarrhea. 

You did write "Penn and Teller = Libertarian definitely and Anarchist maybe." Maybe. I did read that because you actually wrote that. Maybe you were more explicit in another post which I didn't read or skimmed, but you can't back away from words right on the page above this post.

Under a 90% rule the drug war wouldn't exist and that alone would be worth it.

Ironically, under a 90% rule, we wouldn't be able to stop the drug war either. Not yet, anyway.

RSS

© 2023   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service