I don't live in America, I live in Belgium. And I'm very glad to live here.

Why?

Well, simply because the things I've heard, read and seen about America don't really attract me to the land of the "free". In fact, from what (mostly American) people tell me, America is anything but the land of the free. 

I know that America has some problems with general healthcare or social security or something (I'm not really strong in all that kind of stuff, but it does sound bad), and that a lot of politicians in America are straight out liars and cheaters.

Sure, Belgium has a very bad political situation at the moment, we haven't had a government for 6 months now, but still it's better than the USA in my opinion.

I still have a lot of questions about America, and I thought -since most of you are American I suppose- I should ask you guys here. So here I go.

- Is it true that a big part of America is strongly against gay people and immigrants?

- What exactly is going on with that healthcare/social security thing?

- Do you guys notice any religious overshadowing?

- How is your economy?

and last but not least:

- What reasons would you give me to persuade me to come to America on holiday?

PS: forgive my poor English. =/

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Being a Canadian married to an American, I would have to say that there are certain areas of the US that are better than others for atheists, free thinkers, and such.  The central bible belt, and many of the southern states are not necessarily "friendly" to anyone that does not believe in the same dogma they do. ( I know this from experience, my husband is black, and I am white.--and we are both atheists)

I prefer living in Canada, as the US has become something of a police state.  They also do not have the same level of health care coverage that Canada does, but it is also less expensive to live in the US than it is in Canada.  There are pros and cons to almost every situation.

This may be a dumb question, but what is the bible belt?

I would agree that the Bible Belt is not someplace you would want to visit. I would add that you could follow the example of the 2008 election map and visit any of the blue states.

- Is it true that a big part of America is strongly against gay people and immigrants?

No. Just the most vocal (and religious.)

- What exactly is going on with that healthcare/social security thing?

The GOP are beholden to the Insurance companies and they are very influential. That's why we don't have a national care system. (That's the very boiled down answer.)

- Do you guys notice any religious overshadowing?

Every day. But, I look for it.

- How is your economy?

Recovering. Slowly.

and last but not least:

We need your tourist money? Seriously, we have loads of attractions, from National Parks and museums all the way down to Las Vegas.

Oh, I see.

And I immediately got an answer to ALL my questions, brilliant. :)

Good thing California is not in the places I shouldn't visit. :p

Cool pictures! Yeah I've only been to blue states in my life, never left the country nor been to a red state, I feel like I need to experience both the foreign countries and the red states though at some point. It's on my list of life goals lol. But yeah everyone I've ever run into in all of the blue states have not been nearly as racists/homophobic/anti-atheist etc. as I've read/heard about.

It's worth noting that most of the biggest national parks are in the red states. There are demographic correlations between sparsely populated geographic areas and conservatives, vs population centers and cosmopolitans/liberals. Generalizing even further, I'd say that most traditional/stubborn/fundamentalist people almost by definition tend to care a lot more about their local area and culture, and a lot less about the rest of the world (except in xenophobic terms). Yes, I know these are extreme generalizations.

Almost all the National Parks are wonderful, and many are just epic.

I'd also recommend some blue states for geographic sightseeing; Yosemite and the desolation of Death Valley and Lassen Volcanic in California; you could even combine some of the southernmost Canadian parks with a U.S. trip, like Banff; a warm water experience like skin or scuba diving in or around John Pennekamp State Park in the keys of Florida (but lodge in a larger city).

Hee hee... my best friend and I used to make a game of counting roadside Baptist Churches in North Carolina and competing to see who could find the crappiest one.

First year I won after finding a baptist church set up in a back-yard shed with a collapsing roof. lol

yellowstonepark... it's seems so awsome.  but is it really?  Has anyone ever been there?

Yes!  Yellowstone is awesome!  Great hiking and beautiful scenery.  Totally worth a trip

A big part of America is strongly against gay people and immigrants.

heath care is hard to get in our economy these days...we finally have a leader who wants to give us free health care, but the rich republicans want nothing of it.

Christiany is certainly the majority religion here. and yes, if you are anything but, you WILL be judged for it.

Our economy, like mentioned earlier, is bad. jobs are hard to find.

Honestly, the only reason I could give you to see America is because we have an interesting history. that's about it.

My brother has been to the gay pride rally in Washington D.C. and has multiple gay friends even though he is straight - he is into theater and singing and encounters a larger number of gay males in those venues, even in his high school. He went to Winston Churchill High School in Potomac, Maryland (Southern Maryland), one of the most "prestigious" public high schools in the country where there are tons of Jewish people, Christians, Muslims, and non-religious people, people of various races, etc.

I went to Fallston High School (also a public school) in northern relatively rural Maryland. We had no gay people in my school - which is to say, they were all closeted. Everyone was Christian and white.

My brother went on field trips to Scotland and Disney World in Florida.

I went on field trips to "Slateville" in Pennsylvania (I'm not kidding) - they have a LOT of cool slate there, lmao, my Earth Science teacher LOVED it, we also saw the woods where they shot the waterfall scene in the movie "Tuck Everlasting" - that was actually in my county in Maryland. ;) And we went to "Hershey Park" in Hershey, Pennsylvania on field trips in 8th and 12th grade, I love that amusement park. ;) 

My school wasn't bad, we learned evolution like it was the fact that it was, it was understood that schools were secular, no teachers tried to make us pray or anything... we did have to sing Christmas songs on chorus, even religious ones, but usually there was one Hanukkah song to even it out lmao... etc. Surprisingly the county I grew up in was all conservative/republican, but I mean... I went to C.C.D. at my Catholic Church and my religious education teacher told me "sure the pope says that birth control is wrong, but we all use it anyway". Lmao. That was sort of the sentiment in my area. MANY people didn't really show up to church except on Christmas and Easter. Etc. ;)

I don't know how racist/anti-immigration/homophobic/etc. people are/were but I know I had a Mormon friend who actually was secretly pro-gay rights, she'd never admit it unfortunately, but she and her mother both agreed that it wasn't a "choice" to be gay, and well... I don't know what to say except I felt like I was in a pretty accepting area and people were pretty liberal. Granted my whole family is liberal and tolerant/accepting so it makes it feel like everyone is but idk I didn't encounter too much horribleness growing up, that's all. ;)

No, not really.  You may find large geographic portions of the country are anti-gay or prejudiced against gays, but not a majority of the population.  Areas with greater population densities trend towards a more progressive and liberal outlook that would be more familiar to Europeans.

Well, I can say that most foreigners that I have had the pleasure of meeting and spending time with during their stay in the United States really did enjoy themselves.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service