Recently Amazon has come under fire for stripping the sales ranks of gay themed books. At first the company said it was for adult content, even though such works as James Baldwin's Giovanni's Room, Annie Proulx's Brokeback Mountain, Edmund White's A Boy's Own Story, Vito Russo's Celluloid Closet, Randy Shilts' The Mayor of Castro Street: The Life and Times of Harvey Milk and Dan Savage's The Kid: What Happened After My Boyfriend and I Decided to Go Get Pregnant are considered classics. Even books with no sexual content or adult scenes were stripped.
After a major uprising on the social networks Twitter and Facebook, the company backtracked and blamed the events on a "Sales Glitch"
Nearly a month after some titles lost their deserved coverage, but while heterosexual erotica was left untouched, some products are now being restored.
Here you can read the company's original stance on the issue.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10217715-93.html
Where it says :
"In consideration of our entire customer base, we exclude "adult" material from appearing in some searches and best seller lists. Since these lists are generated using sales ranks, adult materials must also be excluded from that feature."
And here you can find their recent attempt at covering up the problem
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iFAIOIDnSsgrsaXKg...

NEW YORK (AP) — A "glitch" on Amazon.com has caused the sales rank to be removed from gay- and/or lesbian-themed books by James Baldwin, Gore Vidal and others.

"There was a glitch in our systems and it's being fixed," Amazon's director of corporate communications, Patty Smith, said in an e-mail Sunday.

Tags: Amazon, bigotry, company, homophobia

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Glitches" are becoming the 'norm' for Amazon. Same thing happened last fall with Spore.
"Glitch" my ass. More like "we wanted to get away with this until someone called us out on it".
I read on a blog somewhere that they got hacked.
Not so much hacked as abused. It was a lot like false flagging youtube videos, or voteing them down with bots. At least, that's what a famous troll claims he did. Pretty much doing it for the fun of it. And not as a political message. Amazon claims it was nothing like that, and it was an internal glitch. It's fixed, so I'm not worried about it.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 2 hours ago. 62 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 6 hours ago. 45 Replies

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 6 hours ago. 16 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service