Let me just clarify, that this is not the first time I had thoughts like this. I was a Catholic for 18 years, stop believing that after that time.When I was 25 I contemplated on the faith of deism in the past, but eventually found no evidence to support it, so declared myself an atheist again.

I was in a strange sort of humour the other night and just out of curiosity I prayed just to see what would happen. I asked god to give me stretch to believe to show me a sign that he is there, to give me the wisdom to know that he is there. I told god I know that he cannot show me testable evidence and I accept that. I feel asleep moments after that. But hours later I awoke to a light tapping on my arm that lay outside my bedcovers. It was almost like a gentle but firm tapping of someones hand. Btw, I lock my room at night. I thought maybe my mind was playing tricks on me. But was it? Did I just feel the hand of God?

Please be aware I am very open to the strong possibility that my mind was indeed playing tricks on me. But honestly, I just don't know what to believe or not to believe now. Please don't be mean or harsh to me about this. If I am wrong in what I say here, I'll accept that given reason

Am I losing my mind though? I just need a perspective from non-beleivers to look at all possibilities here. 

Views: 552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Barely a week goes by where I don't sit up, get up, reach out, grope or talk in my sleep. I don't always remember doing it, but when I do it's clear as day. Whether it's bugs, an intruder, a critter or whatever, my mind imagines it with a usually frightful reality. My guess is your mind is just as mysterious and complex as mine, and everyone else's. 

God is playing devious games with you. That's the way he is lol. (just kidding - I don't believe in god).

Tell him to leave me alone. Disturbing me during my beauty sleep. Who does he think he is? jk haha 

You sound sane; confused, hopeful, introspective, maybe frightened, but entirely sane. 

Thank you

Muscle spasm... Did you by any chance look under the covers and see what it was?

My arm was lying outside the covers lol, but I have come to the conclusion that nothing supernatural occurred after all. 

All kinds of possible explanations.  Including, actually, the possibility that God made your brain and body and the natural world in such a way that when you need it, you can find paths to answers that you seek.

The important part is to keep seeking with an open mind. 

Or slightly more likely, you were touched by the FSM's noodly appendage.

That must be it :)

Fair point. Perhaps "probable" would be a better term? 

Well you would simply analyse the experience, and what is more likely to have been the reality of the situation. You would be weighing down the more probable of the options. By probable I mean, most likely to be true; based on reason. 

RSS

Forum

New site

Started by umar in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 40 minutes ago. 18 Replies

gay marriage decision

Started by Dale Headley in Small Talk. Last reply by Beth yesterday. 5 Replies

Is there an energy resource with such attributes?

Started by ỮŊĐÜムņĮØńệ尺 in Physics, Astronomy, Cosmology. Last reply by Pope Beanie 3 hours ago. 5 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

My Purity Ring

Posted by Michelle Varni on July 5, 2015 at 7:18pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service