I say Chevy, you say Ford.

I say apartment, you say house.

I say Christianity, you say atheism.

I say conservatism, you say liberalism.

Lets think for a moment if we were to truly live and let live..............now that's a concept.  Build off that model.  I have friends/relationships with all that I've listed above and get along with everyone of them.  That's living the dream.

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, I reread that a dozen times.  I couldn't tell about the joking part, but that's good to know, thanks!

If I had been there I would have walked out in the middle of that ignorance.

Thanks you for posting that Doone, even if it was a little agitating to read.

Cool colors
'Bygone' refers to what has 'gone by'. Current, active beliefs don't really fit that idiom; however, if you're proposing a 'live and let live' approach, I agree and I disagree. I'm not one to bust down doors just to assault a someone's beliefs, but at the same time, we don't live in silos. Our beliefs often effect actions and our actions often impact other beings. Sometimes it simply isn't responsible to let bygones be bygones nor to live and let live.

Anything I do that tangibly impacts others and any belief I declare publicly is open for comment and criticism. My friends, friends who come from all different walks of life, know this. The same is true for everyone. C'est la vie.

Bygone to me means live and let live.  I stand corrected on that word if I've missed used it.  I have only a high school education.

So for you to feel responsible, everyone must see things as you do?  That's not logical to me.

"So for you to feel responsible, everyone must see things as you do?  That's not logical to me."

That's a strange thing to say.  I've never said nor implied any such thing.  My wording was deliberate: " Anything I do that tangibly impacts others and any belief I declare publicly is open for comment and criticism".  If feel like that's a pretty explicit statement that my views are also open to being challenged.

Some ideas need to be challenged, including my own ideas.  It's part of how we grow as individuals, and part of how we grow as a culture.

"Sometimes it simply isn't responsible to let bygones be bygones nor to live and let live."

I believe you did say such a thing.  My retort stands.

It still doesn't stand.  That sentence does not assert at any point that other people must conform to my views.  It doesn't even hint at it. This is unambiguous in context. 

To reiterate, sometimes ideas need to be challenged.

Ah, perception plays a huge part in everything.  Different perceptions in the same religions even can be catastrophic to it's upholding.  

I still perceive your statement the same so we're in a stale mate.  I did however catch something I previously missed.  Ideas must always be checked and challenged.  For that good sir we can agree.  

We aren't in a stale mate.  I am telling you exactly what the words mean.  I wrote them, so I happen to know.  It really isn't a matter of opinion.

At no point did I explicitly nor implicitly state that "everyone must see things as [I] do".  I can certainly explain at great length where this perception of yours is unfounded, if you'd like.  I don't mind. 

By all means agree, disagree, tell me it's unclear, tell me it's shitty writing, but I'll thank you kindly to not put words in my mouth.  I really don't feel that is asking too much.

I don't believe I've stated anywhere that I'm a Christian.  The more I read here the more (to me) my point is made.  It's not what a person or people believe but rather how different those beliefs are.  I happened upon this site purely by accident and am just curious what the real point of it is.  To support atheism or cut down those who don't.  It's all fascinating to me.

To me, to just say fuck it and it doesn't matter would be irresponsible.  Like one of the posts above, I feel I have a responsibility to ask why, that's all.  

then dont use that kind of logic. the point you're making is useless, because you are the one who is causing everyone to side against you.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Forum

Are homophobes really phobic?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Obfuskation 12 minutes ago. 20 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service