Alabama Governor: Only Christians are my Brothers

Alabama Republican Governor Robert Bentley said in a Martin Luther King Jr. Day message Monday that he does not consider Americans who do not accept Jesus Christ as their savior to be his brothers and sisters.

"There may be some people here today who do not have living within them the Holy Spirit," Bentley said shortly after taking the oath of office, according to the Birmingham News. ''But if you have been adopted in God's family like I have, and like you have if you're a Christian and if you're saved, and the Holy Spirit lives within you just like the Holy Spirit lives within me, then you know what that makes? It makes you and me brothers. And it makes you and me brother and sister."

''Now I will have to say that, if we don't have the same daddy, we're not brothers and sisters," he continued. "So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother."

American Atheists President David Silverman told Hotsheet that the comments were "bigoted" and show that Bentley "puts his Bible above the Constitution of the United States."

"There is a difference between being a governor and being a mullah, or being a preacher," he said. "Being the governor of all people means that you are a representative of all people. It certainly does not mean that you abuse your position to push your religion on people who differ from your faith."

The Anti-Defamation League, a Jewish rights group, also condemned the comments.

"It is shocking that Governor Bentley would suggest that non-Christians are not worthy of the same love and respect he professes to have for the Christian community," ADL Southeast Regional Director Bill Nigut said. "His comments are not only offensive, but also raise serious questions as to whether non-Christians can expect to receive equal treatment during his tenure as governor."

Nigut added: "Governor Bentley's remarks suggest that he is determined to use his new position to proselytize for Christian conversion. If he does so, he is dancing dangerously close to a violation of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which forbids government from promoting the establishment of any religion."

Asked about Bentley's comments, his communications director, Rebekah Caldwell Mason, told the Birmingham News, "He is the governor of all the people, Christians, non-Christians alike."

While Bentley, a deacon at a Baptist church, drew a distinction between Christians and non-Christians in his comments, he also said he was "color blind" and would represent all the people in his state.

Bentley's comments may not be much of a problem for the new governor. During the Alabama GOP gubernatorial primary, candidate Bradley Byrne was attacked for allegedly suggesting that evolution, as opposed to creationism, "best explains the origin of life."

His response was to deem the ad awash in "despicable lies" and insist, "As a Christian and as a public servant, I have never wavered in my belief that this world and everything in it is a masterpiece created by the hands of God." He went on to tout his efforts to ensure creationism be taught in public schools.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20028777-503544.html

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunately, the right-wingers seem intent on kicking that sleeping dog. It seems like they are coming dangerously close to violating peoples rights.
So he believes his fellow born-agains are his brothers and sisters because they have the same 'father', supposedly God, and by implication, everyone else has a different father, so I guess he believes they are all Satan's children.

Unbelievalble! Really unbelievable. He is the governer of an entire state and he talks like this? Wow! i am SO glad I found out about this.

He is clearly saying if you do not subscribe to his religious views, you are are not worthy to be considered a brother or a sister, in other words, you're on the outside of the right side. This, coming from a governer no less.

This is scary. This kind of thing is what makes me feel hopeless. How do people like this get elected into such high positions of power?

Did he not say things like this until after he got elected? Is that how it happened?

He was like that all the way thru the election. He won by a huge margin. Tell you anything about the voting public here in the great State of Alabama. The outsiders just think it is scary, try living here.

As a matter of fact yes. I have property in rural Michigan that is looking better all the time. Just no way to make any money, Mi. is all but dead.
How very christian of him!  Frightening.

Alabama... Not even once.

Perhaps this guy didn't get the memo, but being Governor means he governs ALL the citizens of his state. No picking and choosing. Nor special treatment for his 'brothers and sisters' His comments were quite inappropriate for someone in his position, and it saddens me that someone like him can get elected.

I'm embarassed to admit that he technically is related to us all, on a genetic level. It is a sad, sad day when you're forced to realize that the world would be so much more advanced if people like this were locked up. I'm sure he's against same sex marriage, stem cell research, is obviously against freedom of/from religion... he kinda makes me sick...

Genetics? This is Alabama we are talking about.

It's possible.... but do you really think someone this deeply rooted in his beliefs is going to change his views because of one lesson about tolerance?

George Wallace was shot in the stomach... but not before being the butt of a George Carlin joke! 

the ignorant elect the ignorant, so that their children become ignorant, then they teach their children to be ignorant.

RSS

Forum

The Cross

Started by Belle Rose in Religion and the Religious, Atheism and Atheists. Last reply by Davis Goodman 25 minutes ago. 21 Replies

Help Think Atheist!

Started by David Smith in Theistic Arguments and Debate Help. Last reply by Simon Mathews 8 hours ago. 18 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by MikeLong 18 hours ago. 38 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service