I'm having a discussion on Facebook with my Goddaughter concerning Agnostics.  I find that ironic. I told her that the only difference between Agnostics and Atheists is that an Agnostic is open to the concept of an afterlife.  Both reject scripture. 

I was wondering what people on this site felt about the difference between Agnostics and Atheists.

Views: 477

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey, that's me. 

agnostics: don't know

atheists: lack belief

antitheists: total B.S.

I think your response is along the same lines I had with my Niece. She posted on facebook the following:

"’ll be honest about it. It is not atheists who get stuck in my craw, but agnostics. Doubt is useful for a while. We must all pass through the garden of Gethsemane. If Christ played with doubt, so must we. If Christ spent an anguished night in prayer, if He burst out from the Cross, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” then surely we are also permitted doubt. But we must move on. To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation." --Life of Pi"

I was trying to make the point that agnostics are not mindless doubters lost in life but have a foundation to their beliefs (or non-beliefs).  I didn't share this part here and I'm glad I didn't.  I learned a lot from the different perspectives. 

In the absence of viable evidence one way or another, what are you left with? A possible false certainty, or a waitful openness?

Ok, I'm going to get heat for this one! 

Can you have a lack of evidence that something doesn't exist?  If there aren't invisible teapots between Mars and Earth, how can you prove that they aren't there? 

How many invisible tea pots are there? If I do not know where to look, they might as well be invisible. I know where one tea pot is, on our wood stove, but it is not invisible, except at this moment. 

JC Samson is invisible to me, but I seem to be getting postings from 'him?'. I wonder how many invisble JC Samsons are between Mars and Earth?

If I do not write to JC Samson, does he stop existing? Is 'he?' invisible at that moment?

My wife is invisible to me at this moment, including our puppies. I assume that she is waiting for me, with our puppies on our bed, wondering why I think I am talking to people on the web, and not invisible tea pots between Mars and Earth. I think I have a better chance of finding my wife and puppies, than invisible tea pots.

Good night little invisible tea pots, short or stout!

I do hope the solar wind does not tarnish excessively....

LOL  

Ahh, but just because I or your wife are invisible to you does not mean we are invisible to other people.  You get message from me, which is proof that I, in some form, exist. Whether I or someone else is writing these messages does not matter, JC Samson does exist.  Have you received messages from the teapots?  Your wife and I just want to be invisible to you... lol

I do not know, maybe they are easily embarrased for being so issolated and tarnished?

Actually I think an easily embarrased and tarnished tea pot might want to impersonate a JC Samson or other, but it is unclear if such issolated tea pots would know anything about things called, 'JC Samson'.

Your existence to me, is just about as rarified as invisible tea pots, but I could just take your word as 'proof' of existence.

Should I project to that place, 'behind' your words that could imply your existence?  

One thing I'll say for agnostics is that no-one has ever started a war in the name of agnosticism.

Agnosticism is organized around the possibility of a theistic deity. Atheists deny it 100%; agnostics say basically "I don't believe in God, but show me proof and I can change my mind."

The idea that agnosticism is defined about an afterlife is nonsense.

A theistic deity who created mankind but didn't offer them an afterlife is a conceptual possibility, granted that one of the psychological attractions of most religions is an afterlife.

agnostics say they dont know if there is a god or not. there is no way of knowing. athiests deny god altogether.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 3 minutes ago. 112 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service