Hey everyone,

This is my first post on here and I have a rather simple question for you all.  I do not know how maany of you willl be able to answer this , but I have wondered why some people choose to be an "agnostic" rather than an "atheist".  I myself am an atheist and i have just always wondered why some people have chosen to be agnostic over atheist.

Tags: Why, agnostic, atheist, be, rather, than

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exposure to "other" ideas is a very relative term. Most Brits or French need only travel a couple of hours by car to be immersed in a completely different culture. Yet, some people still manage to never leave home.

In North America, one can travel 4-5 days non-stop by car and still not be exposed to a "other" culture. One can easily understand why "country bumpkins" have higher rates of religiosity than city folk or multi-national regions. Lack of exposure can be, on certain topics, a great hindrance in life.

My issue with agnosticism is that it gives extra credibility to the deity-theory that people just don't give to any other theory and makes you very hypocritical. IE: "Well I don't know either way if a deity exists, but those aliens? That can't possibly be real." 
I give deities the exact same scrutiny I give to any other theory. Pink unicorn? Show me the bones. Aliens? Get some pictures and establish contact or something. Gods? Show them breaking universal laws to me.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service