I'm having a hard time dealing with non-existing after life. I mean I don't believe in any Gods so therefore there is no reason to believe in an afterlife. I know my conscious mind will be gone and therefore I will not be aware of anything but i still can't believe in completely and total darkness after life.

what do you all believe happens after death? Maybe hearing others opinions will make me feel better about this.

Views: 355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is nothing--literally--to be scared of about death. It's horribly sad to lose someone you love and it's not pleasant to think of what your loved ones will go through when you die, but death itself is just the end. Wondering what happens afterward is a little like wondering what the flame is going through after you've blown out the candle.

The process of dying, on the other hand...well, that gives me the cold horrors. I'll be under my bed.

'Spook', by Mary Roach, is a very entertaining and informative book about the soul, spirit, and afterlife. I'd also recommend her book 'Stiff'.

Excellent recommendation

I like to think of it as the same as it was before you were born.  Before you were born you didn't know anything, you just didn't exist. You have no memories from that time.  The "afterlife" will be exactly the same.  

I too have sometimes struggled with this.  It can be very hard to believe that in an instant everything could be over and you will cease to exist.  However, my fear has never been enough for me to turn to religion for  comfort.   

You make death sound like the lights are out. Darkness. There needs to be a you to perceive darkness. Death=no more you. We are now sure that the universe and everything in it will just go dim and cold and simply stop existing in any meaningful way. Not even a Big Crunch. We are sensible and rational creatures, used to being able to wrap our minds around concepts, but you can't really get a handle on death because death is death. It isn't an experience we can analogize to something else in our experience the way we can analogize birth to a variety of experiences. Coming into being we understand. Going out of existence is something we will never understand.

Imho Who's to say? My belief is that we only have one life and we should live it to the fullest.

Be kind to every other living thing and learn as much as we can about the things that interest us, so that we fully understand what we enjoy the most.

Why do we make life so complicated? We think too much maybe.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 15 minutes ago. 6 Replies

An atheist book for children?

Started by Leonard Deke in Small Talk 3 hours ago. 0 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Gary Clouse 7 hours ago. 69 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service