I'm having a hard time dealing with non-existing after life. I mean I don't believe in any Gods so therefore there is no reason to believe in an afterlife. I know my conscious mind will be gone and therefore I will not be aware of anything but i still can't believe in completely and total darkness after life.

what do you all believe happens after death? Maybe hearing others opinions will make me feel better about this.

Views: 333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what happens after death, is the same as what happens before birth...

I have no problem with dying one day, and i think that is because when i first started to contemplate death i was still a christian and believed in eternal life, and after alot of thought on the subject what really scared me silly was the thought of eternal life. Eternity is not a concept the human mind can really understand and being forced to experience eternity would be the greatest curse imaginable. think about this. you could take a slow stroll around the entire obvservable  universe 1 billion times. and by the time you had finished this you still would not have even begun to experience how long eternity really is.

so you say death scares you? but then just try to imagine the opposite, try to imagine eternal life as a sentient, self aware being

I would love to live forever - why not? I believe every person deep down wants to live forever.

like i said. anyone who says they want to live forever has not thought about just how long forever really is. lets say you were gonna live forever as a sentient being. in  a billion  years time dont you think you would have gotten the slightest bit bored and sick of neverending existence ? how about in a trillion years time? or 100 trillion years time? and the worst part would be knowing that it will never end

No, I would gladly want to be alive in a trillion years to see where humanity has advanced or not (in case I wouldn't be alive unless I was out in space). People can claim they wouldn't want to live forever - but at the end of the day - living forever is what most atheists and non-theists envision - Dr. Michio Kaku has made this point in his book "Physics of the Future" - you won't be having those same sentiments when you are older.

i still say eternity would be a curse . There is only a finite amount of time before you have done everything in the universe 1 trillion  times over, and then you will face an immortality of infinite boredom.

Don't get me wrong, I wish life went on for a lot longer than it does. But it should still be finite.

as a thought experiment. if some magic genie popped up right now and offered you a choice. eternal life as a human being or instant death right now(no afterlife etc) what would you choose? and before you say eternal life think about this . how do you think you will feel about it in a trillion years time when the universe has ended and you have been all alone for the last how ever many hundreds of billions of years knowing this will go on for all eternity?

i found this on youtube a few weeks ago and i agree with what he says

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6nQSe4scww

We just have different opinions on this. :) I would still rather be alive forever. lol. I am not just saying this to just say it - I would really rather be alive forever. I will watch your youtube clip shortly.

. ..   .your assuming that in living forever you get to keep your youth, health and other variables. Living forever, basically immortal-just getting progressively older, even if we can virtually stop aging-I would imagine to be very horrible. Infinity or even small sets of infinity, is a LONG time indeed. LOL

I've read all of Kaku's books. Extending life to 200 years is probably not out of the question.

Maybe in the not too distant future we can transfer our "minds" into bio-computers and go digital and beyond- but  at some point you'll get bored.

I don't remember who said it but- as close as I remember:

Some people wish for immortallity but can't find anything to do on a Saturday night.

But if we were bio/machine, cyborg or whatever the correct term is- could one literally "pull the plug" on oneself?

Maybe in a time machine you could "pop in" every few thousand, or even million years-- But living a 1000 years, 10,000, Millions Billions and for fuck sake trillions of years!?!?!?  Throwing around numbers that large are absolutely meaningless used that way. That's older than the age of the universe (maybe).

Even if you lived at a speed of one year per second:1 year = 31,556,926 seconds- your still living thousands or more years of time- and that doesn't even begin to ponder infinities that your assuming ........ ... .. . .   .    .    .

Not all of us.

paraphrasing the great isaac azimov, life is joyful, dead is peaceful... the problem is the transition

Certainly at the current point with current technologies - cryonics leads to cellular death - but with technologies improving, cryonics offers significant opportunities for human longevity in the future. To characterize and judge those believing in the possibilities that cryonics offers, is fallacious.

Well, you're right it wasn't nice of me. I shouldn't perhaps attack the people who believe in this so much as the people who feed the illusion and the promise of a second coming for people who have the dough.

I'm saying that it is a (ongoing) waste of money and resources and it is utterly, utterly futile. I am glad that you realize the technological difficulties, preventing cell destruction and that of extra-cellular spaces, which perhaps is only one of the minor problems with the whole enterprise, leaving no hope whatsoever, not now, and with almost complete certainty not ever, that these corpses, because they are truly dead, pieces of mushed meat, just temporarily kept from orderly rotting away like they're supposed to, that they are ever going to be revived and then cured from whatever ailment, brain trauma and so on, way surpassing medical capabilities today.

But I don't want to be all negative, because they might one day some of the more interesting specimen might end up on the cutting table as study material, sure and there their remains might yet fulfill a worthy cause.

I think it is problematic if people are led to believe in grandiose promises, not assurances perhaps but nevertheless, that are extremely, I mean truly extremely, unlikely to happen.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 24 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service