Correct me if I'm wrong, but mostly as atheists, we believe in nothingness after death, or at least I think I do. But then we have all of this stuff with mediums and spirits that maybe point to evidence to an afterlife. Some mediums have told people things that no one else has known, so that really makes me wonder.
I was really just wondering what everyone's opinions were on afterlife and spirits and stuff like that. Like, what exactly do you think happens after death?

Tags: afterlife, death, spirits

Views: 1577

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have personal evidence that I myself have experienced and verified from an independent source - several times.  Any other evidence I might hear about remains other people's anecdotal evidence, and hasn't been verified by me.  Therefore the jury's out at the moment on that stuff. 

"Personal evidence" - 'nough said.

That, my friend, is a scientific attitude.  Anything else is just "intellectualizing something away". 

No, Simon. It's about honestly reporting the objective results of their tests. To require scientists to have no bias is to require them to be superhuman.

It's exactly because scientists can have biases ("I think I can explain something that's never been understood before") that we ask them to attempt to DISprove their theory rather than prove it.

That done, we have the further requirement that their results be repeatable and be subject to peer review. 

All that done, being unbiased or not shouldn't figure in. The scientist whose biases intrude in his work will be unmasked in short order.

@Unseen - RE: "('I think I can explain something that's never been understood before')"

Somehow, I don't think Paynton is going to get that, because, based on knowledge I have of him, he too believes he "can explain something that's never been understood before."

I'm still waiting for him to change the world.

Likewise, Ray.  I don't see any chink of light there at all. 

Churches simplify Pascal's Wager to their advantage; they deny this life.

1. If a god exists, and if I follow church rules, then I will be rewarded.

2. If a god exists, and if I ignore church rules, then I will be punished.

3. If no god exists, and if I follow church rules, then I miss a lot of fun.

4. If no god exists, and if I ignore church rules, then I have a lot of fun.

One conclusion holds: church rules forbid fun.

I think Derek Acorra is a good example to why its probable that most if not all of these "mediums" are frauds.

Derek Acorah is ridiculous and hilarious.  That's obvious to anyone, but plenty of people lap him up. 

Whether he's channeling a little Victorian girl, or an Arab prince - they all sound like a middle-aged white man from Liverpool.  

I think Derek Acorra is a good example to why its probable that most if not all of these "mediums" are frauds.

One of the more damning bits of evidence is the million dollars sitting in a bank account, which the James Randi Educational Foundation will give to...

"...anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event."

To date, hundreds have applied, and then all have failed the preliminaries. No one has actually arrived at the formal test stage.

The people who apply for the cash are small-timers: sincere crackpots convinced they really do have supernatural abilities and as a result have no fear of discovery. James Randi is at a loss to explain why year after year goes by, and none of the big names-- John Edward, Lisa Williams, James Van Praagh, Sally Morgan, Derek Acorra-- ever swoops in to snap up the pile of easy cash.

Imagine that.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service