Correct me if I'm wrong, but mostly as atheists, we believe in nothingness after death, or at least I think I do. But then we have all of this stuff with mediums and spirits that maybe point to evidence to an afterlife. Some mediums have told people things that no one else has known, so that really makes me wonder.
I was really just wondering what everyone's opinions were on afterlife and spirits and stuff like that. Like, what exactly do you think happens after death?

Tags: afterlife, death, spirits

Views: 1559

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You said you didn't entirely agree that we know the mind is a product of the brain. I aimed to prove that science does know this. Brain injuries prove it. The evidence is overwhelming.

But don't you see, GM? The mind is very tricky. When you injure the brain, it starts ACTING like that injury has an impact on the mind. It's just like the way 
God fools us by putting dinosaur bones around that carbon dating tells us are far older than 6000 years. 

But don't you see, GM? The mind is very tricky. When you injure the brain, it starts ACTING like that injury has an impact on the mind. It's just like the way God fools us by putting dinosaur bones around that carbon dating tells us are far older than 6000 years.

Exactly, Unseen. Yet another example is the peek-a-boo game. When you hide your eyes, where does the universe go? It all goes black of course, just as Stephen Hawking demonstrated in his work regarding black holes. (Intuitively, not intellectually.) Thus, we have proof that human eyesight exists independently of the human eye and actually projects the universe.

The human lap is yet ANOTHER example. Stand and it vanishes. Sit and it returns. Where does the human lap exist while we stand? It enters hyperspace and loiters in a pocket dimension. Geordi La Forge showed us how this works countless times on Star Trek. Thus, we have proof that the human lap exists independently of the human femur.

TA members! Do you find this approach to proof intriguing? Watch this instructional video! First, the monks demonstrate the technique for getting in the proper frame of mind using repeated blows to the head. Then the knight shows you how to draw conclusions using the same ironclad form of reasoning.

The mind is very tricky, it may be tricking you in 11 dimensions you didn't know exist.

Therefore, everyone should always be skeptical of their own beliefs, no matter what they are.

I believe that's true. Or DO I --?

Well said Josh.

Before i lost my hearing there used to be a somg I liked by Iris Dement called "Let The Mystery Be", so why not try doing just that. Wait, in time i absolutely gaurantee you will find out for yourself.

Everybody's wonderin' what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
But no one knows for certain and so it's all the same to me.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Some say once you're gone you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.
Some say you rest in the arms of the Saviour if in sinful ways you lack.
Some say that they're comin' back in a garden, bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/i/iris_dement/

Regards,
Judith vd R

Hi Josh

Dan Dennett says:
"When we talk about one neuron, thats neuroscience, when we talk about two neurons, thats psychology"

Have you read much of Dan Dennetts work on the conscience? He is saying that we dont know much about it at all. He says that our conscience tricks us all the time and that nobody really knows their own minds.
He says that our deep conscience is where art and music come from. So then that makes me think of Salvador Dali. When his work is examined, people dont stand around saying - 'oh thats bullshit because clocks dont really melt and flamingos dont think of elephants.' His work is taken very seriously because art is an important indicator of changing social attitudes.

Anyway - I know your interested in psychology so you might like to take a look at this video called
'The Illusion of Consiousness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjbWr3ODbAo
Also if your in the mood for a bit of a read, this is really good,

'How are Hallucinations Possible'
http://konyv.uw.hu/consciousness_explained.htm

I reckon you will enjoy these..... You too Jimmy

I have read that article on ' How are Hallucinations Possible" three times already and its hard for me to get my head around in parts.

So if someone really clever reads it and is able to tie it up in a nice package, that would be good, Otherwise I have to read it five more times. : /

"The only thing I know for sure is that things will be different."

Most people's notion of the afterlife are so mundane and anthropomorphized. Some people say DMT is a glimpse into the afterlife, and if that's true, according to DMT, the afterlife is akin to a metamorphosis of some sort that's not particularly going to be designed to preserve your humanness or what you call your humanness or to set you on a cloud with lier and gown for the rest of eternity, but that actually the greatest adventure, the greatest adventures still lie ahead.

If DMT teaches anything, one thing is for sure, that is you're right, we don't know enough about the nature of reality to even acknowledge our lack of awareness of our ignorance.

"Unexamined cultural values and limitations of language have made us unwitting prisoners of our own assumptions." - Terence McKenna

@Angela I will read it, but I think Dennett was once asked if he's ever tried DMT, he responded that he hadn't. I think that paragraph, without having read it, would probably be more interesting if he had, but I'm going to read it anyway and try and see what I get out of it.

Jimmy says:

"The one thing I do hold as true is that psychedelics offer a pathway to a colossal state of consciousness..."

As a child of the 60's I can say Jimmy is a tripper. :D

Trippers advice should be taken with a grain of salt and one to two hits of primo shit. :)

Good luck Jimmy convincing anyone here of your mental gymnastics...but shucks Jim a good trip is still a good trip, just watch out for the FSM.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service