Correct me if I'm wrong, but mostly as atheists, we believe in nothingness after death, or at least I think I do. But then we have all of this stuff with mediums and spirits that maybe point to evidence to an afterlife. Some mediums have told people things that no one else has known, so that really makes me wonder.
I was really just wondering what everyone's opinions were on afterlife and spirits and stuff like that. Like, what exactly do you think happens after death?

Tags: afterlife, death, spirits

Views: 1574

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't believe anybody who likes hot dogs ever really wants to know the answer to that one.

I'm not sure if I entirely agree with the portion here where you typed, "We know for a fact that the mind is a product of the brain." I'm not sure who you were referring to when you typed "we" there, was it contemporary neuroscience or perhaps contemporary psychology? I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if you've ever read the "Hard Problem of Consciousness" or the "Quantum mind-body problem" or even David Bohm's "Quantum mind." The idea there is that consciousness may be intertwined not only to the physical, but also to what M-theorist entertain, the higher dimensional hyperspace that makes up string theory and M-Theory. To give an example, and I've used this one before, but maybe you might be new to this. 

I'll start by quoting something Steven Pinker once said, he said, "The way I think of mind is as a 4th dimensional organ of your body, you cannot see it, because it resides in a higher dimension, but you experience a sectioning of it within the phenomenon of consciousness, but that is only a partial sectioning of it in the same way a plane is a partial sectioning of a cone when it transects it."

I know that quote sounds like something Stuart Hameroff might suggest, but what’s implicit here is that this emergent property of matter, what we call “consciousness," like I said, is somehow intertwined with what M-Theorists rave about, the “higher dimensions” which make up String Theory. For instance, to give an example of this “sectioning” in the quote, when you imagine, say, a tree in the daytime spring scenery, you can see it in your mind’s eye quite vividly, can't you?

You can make out the brilliant colours and and even almost hear the wind as it brushes against its branches and leaves. But where is this tree, really? Where is the tree being projected? We can’t make the analogy from the computer’s output to a monitor, you see, because the tree isn’t really anywhere in your mind. If we were going to take a look at the physical brain, we wouldn’t find the tree, instead we may find certain electrical neural patterns, the breaking and forming of chemical bonds and various other fast chemistries, etc. But if we were going to use the computer analogy, then the monitor, where the image is being projected is in within this “sectioning” of hyperspace while the hardware is a direct correlate in the physical brain, they go together, you see. 

I know I posted this earlier in the thread, but I'll post it once more, but these are some of the ideas that people entertain when thinking about these concepts. 

Graham Hancock on Death

So, the point you were making about our return to the state of the unborn may have more implications than you might think. Could it be that consciousness retracts into whatever higher dimension it came from in the first place? If it's the case that the near-death-experience is associated with N,N-DMT, could it be that what this experience is, is a kind of fall into the black hole in the psyche, a process that may take an eternity? In Hinduism, it is believed that when someone dies, there is this notion of "nirvikalpa samadhi" where one's consciousness returns the source or "Brahman," the divine consciousness, an impersonal consciousness. That, in a way, the multiverse is a form of consciousness that within it only creates the illusion of separateness, which is ourselves.

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves!"         -Bill Hicks

You mentioned why not inorganic things? Well, what about panpsychism? If you run a Google image search for brain cell/universe, you receive a very suggestive image there. By the way, I'm not positing these concepts as "truth," I simply lay 'em out there so people can entertain them or not. The fact of the matter is that no one truly knows.

Jimmy you are a foole (the silent "e" shows how special you are).

Actually, it's just a rip off from one of George Carlin's comedy albums. Can't you be more original?

Love George Carlin, he will be missed...you will not.

Like Stijn Bruers, Jimmy's under the impression that the truth of what he says is a function of the length of his posts. Either that, or he believes that if he buries you under a mountain of horseshit you'll go away.

I wonder if Jimmy is planning on being the next Deepak Chopra?

Is that it Jimmy?  Are you planning on being the next King of Woo Woo?

I wouldn't blame ol' Jimmy for giving that a go, there's a mountain of gold to be had in Woo Woo Land.

Oh!!! That's even better:

Jimmy, the Wizard of Woo Woo Land.

Jimbo, best of luck leading the lemmings into the Abyss. :)

If I thought for a second that would work on you, I'd try it --

Okay, there you go again with the use of "we," in "we have an extensive understanding of consciousness and how it develops." This is untrue. If you were to look up "consciousness" in any psychology book or neuroscientific medical book, the resounding message you'll find is often quoted as, "Nothing worth reading has been written about consciousness." The very thing that is most familiar to us, yet it is the one thing we know very little about.

As Steven Pinker once said, "Consciousness rest on a chemical foundation, it is not a product of it." Mind may be an epiphenomenon that is based in both the quantum world and the physical realm, but I don't think there's any neurobiology or neuroscience being done as of now that would claim to have some kind of understanding of "consciousness" that would be able to define what exactly is going on.

You said, "Near-death-experiences" are just that. Well, perhaps you're not familiar with N,N-DMT as it's now been proven that the near-death-experience is an experience of the natural induction of endogenous N,N-DMT.

Steven Pinker once said, he said, "The way I think of mind is as a 4th dimensional organ of your body

The irony here is that Pinker isn't at all suggesting what you seem to be taking away from his abstract description of mind. Wouldn't your interpretation be closer to Chopra's?

Pope Paul, I've never read anything relative to Chopra in my life. Pinker, on the other hand, is a person that I've read extensively upon. So, maybe you can enlighten me with your interpretation. Why do you believe it's closer to Chopra's view?

I'm not sure if I entirely agree with the portion here where you typed, "We know for a fact that the mind is a product of the brain." I'm not sure who you were referring to when you typed "we" there, was it contemporary neuroscience or perhaps contemporary psychology? I'm not sure.

Let's help you be a bit more sure of yourself, Jimmy.

Empirical science has indeed established that human consciousness is a product of the human brain. How? For starters, "we" have the 1.7 million traumatic brain injuries that occur every year. Destroy the right part of your brain and the corresponding aspect of your consciousness (memory, association, concentration, etc.) ceases to function properly. 

If the brain did not make us conscious, then concussions would not make us unconscious; damage to the brain would not damage the mind. Without that causal relationship, how could it possibly?

So there you have it. Hard evidence in the form of millions of examples, which have been exhaustively tested, and have long since established this to be the case, over and over again.

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service