I started a poll this morning and was interested to find out that some atheist here believe that an adult 'believer' is less intelligent than a 'non-believer'.

I want to extend that question a little.

This article was mentioned in Richard Dawkins's book "The God Delusion" (or maybe it's the other way around) and also happens to be one of the reasons for my poll.

After reading this part of the book, I started to ask myself if intelligence really has anything to do with it.
I know that some are just flat out stupid, but can't that be said about every group? Seriously, how many atheists do you know that claim it just b/c their big brother or friends are... or call themselves atheist b/c it's becoming a fairly popular thing in the younger generation? How many claim it to rebel against the authority in their life?

These reasons have nothing to do with intelligence. They are the result of emotional decisions made early in life. Sure, they may be better in the long run for it, but it is not the result of 'higher' intelligence.

Could adult Christians believe the way they do b/c they were simply brainwashed and trained to think that way? Has their level of intelligence been suppressed or do they just not feel it necessary to challenge what has been so rigorously ingrained in their heads from childhood?

What do you think?

Tags: believers, intelligence

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

heh, actually, I was calling my parents hypocritical b/c I don't want to speak for his. I don't know them and have no real clue as to why the chose to join the church.. but, if I were to 'label' or stereotype them, that is what I would say.

Walk the walk means, follow the rules laid out by the bible, go to church, pray regularly, repent, take care of themselves, don't gossip.. no glutton, lust, greed, pride, envy, etc.. you, being a believer, know the drill; all that jazz.
Here's a quote from mensa magazine ...
"Of 43 studies carried out since 1927 on the relationship between religious belief and one's intelligence and/or educational level, all but four found an inverse connection. That is, the higher one's intelligence or education level, the less one is likely to be religious or hold "beliefs" of any kind." .... I suspect the four were by the Discovery Institute!! though the differences involved were relatively small (4-8 IQ points)
Wikipedia shows that it's the more developed nations that are less religious, so perhaps it has to do with culture, having money and being EDUCATED rather than being intelligent.
I guess it doesn't really matter whether you believe or not as long as you sorta see through the whole thing.
I met uncountable amounts of stupid believers, but also some (only few, unfortunatelly) who really saw through religion.
If someone came to this point, the only basic question left is whether someone wants to believe in any religious idea of god.
Those are the folks who really live charity, peace, forgiveness and all the other good ideas.
In the same way, there are not only few atheists who do not believe in god or anything, but just that does not make them good persons. I met some persons who actually argue in a "after I died, there won't be nothing, so why the f** should i care about anything that doesnt benefit me?". Beside those, of course, there are (they're the atheist majority, i think and hope) the atheists who take ethics, morals, etc. as their world view's basis.
Maybe it's true that atheists are more intelligent on average because it takes some more brains to scrutinise religion, whether or not they abolish it afterwards. (the ones who don't become profound believers, eh ;D).

My point is: I don't care whether someone is intelligent or the dumbest moron on earth and likewise whether he or she believes in something, as long as he or she lives his or her life in a manner exemplary for the vast majority of people.

macmacmac
I think the atheists of our generation were mostly brought up with a religious background. That might be a massive generalisation, I know, but I imagine it was much less popular back in the 80s to be an atheist then it is now. Even if that's all wrong, from my perspective alone I was brought up with a very religious background, and then when I realised I had the power to reject it, I sat down and had a really good *think* about it, and I decided I would believe what I wanted to believe and not what I was told to believe.

Yes, I think believers are less intelligent, because to me they are people who have not had a good think about it, because if they did, in my mind, they'd see how ridiculous it all was. I don't think you can be that intelligent and still be a believer, unless there are some serious modifications made to your beliefs.
Well the way I see it. On average the intelligence of the believers would have to be lower. There is a lot more time and effort spent on converting the gullible and less intelligent to a belief in god, than in a belief in no god. And no, being gullible or unintelligent isn't necessarily a requirement to believe in god. Heck I believe in science and the only real proof I have is someone told me so.
But the difference is that the proof is the science. You don't have to understand how to build a dam to see that it works, or know anything about rocket science to watch a space launch. Science proves itself every day, with everything we use, no leap of faith required. :-)
Still, this doesn't touch on the idea that theist are willfully ignorant to the subject. What if they choose to ignore reason for personal gain or effect?

I'm still of the belief that the average theist doesn't really believe in the god they follow to begin with. They only follow for community convenience.
Still not proof, for all i know. The shuttle could be launched into space by the power of prayer. Yes i know it isn't. but, we live on faith same as religious people. For lots of things in our lives.
But it isn't faith. If we wonder how something operates, then we can probably acquire the information necessary to understand it. You might question whether or not the information is accurate, but a shuttle relying on erroneous information would not make it safely into space.

If you see a shuttle launched into space, and you know the science responsible for putting the shuttle into orbit, what, if not the science, can you attribute to the shuttle's successful launch? Believing in science is not a matter of faith. It is only a matter of observation.
Have you ever seen the roundness of the Earth, or do you trust the observations and measurements (photographs, etc) of others? It's a tricky thing: we chastise the theist for his blind faith, yet we seem to have it ourselves: we defer to the expertise of others all the time.

But then, the difference is obvious: experts are only considered as such if their claims are theoretically sound and experimentally verified (lest we forget those biological scientists who are Creationists).
hmm.. I think your logic is broken.
Maybe I just read it wrong..
No, you read it right Chiz, definitely broken.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 70 Replies

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by Lee 3 hours ago. 7 Replies

An atheist book for children?

Started by Leonard Deke in Small Talk 7 hours ago. 0 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service