I searched to see if this was posted previously, but I didn't quite find what I was looking for - so here I go:

My youngest brother is a drug addict.  Coping not only with his behavior, but some of the other people he has brought around my family, and the ways in which my parents have tried to help him has been trying.  He's been in and out of at least 13 different rehab facilities in the last year, and he is in the ER for an overdose again tonight.  I'm hitting a bit of a breaking point in the way that I interact with my family regarding this issue, and I'm not quite sure where to go for help/support.  I know many support groups are faith-based, and I am dubious of how helpful these venues will be for me.  I know there are more neutral groups out there, but I can't remember their names or how to find them.  Is anyone else familiar with this topic? 

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Views: 294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing and offering your ear Danny!

@Kasu  " I am a firm believer that people are not addicts"                                                               I cant see how you can say that or there wouldn't be a name for these people,by stating this I'm not even sure if you've met an addict and I'm talking in the sense of people who will go into shock or cold turkey or even die from their physical addiction to a substance if they suddenly stop for some period,that is an addict not just someone who thinks they drink a little too much or smoke to much weed.True addictions require substitutes or a weaning off period and are not just psychological.I really annoys me when people come out with statements like this when they obviously know nothing about the subject or they would be better informed.

I am a firm believer that people are not "addicts,"

It sounds like you are talking about psychological addiction... I can assure you that chemical addiction is as commonplace as sliced bread. Until you have felt the physical withdrawal from a substance which gradually modifies your brain chemistry, it's really quite difficult to understand a chemical addiction.

Feel free to continue the debate, and thank you all for your advice.  Just to clarify - I really am just looking for support for myself, as a family member affected by the drug use of a loved one.  I'm not in a place to help my brother at this point.  Hoping to get there, but not there yet.

I'm sorry I could not offer any recommendations on a secular support group. I come from a very large family with many relatives I'm close to. We are our own support group for any situation. I'm not sure I could have survived without the strength of my grandparents, mother, sisters, aunts, uncles, and cousins.

I again do offer my own support and I am not stingy with the support of my family. I am on the east coast and have a bit of time to share for phone calls and I still like our now old fashion mail system. I am however from the west coast and almost my entire family still lives there. My sisters are the pillars of my support system and like myself are always open to making new friends.

RSS

Forum

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Mathews 20 minutes ago. 3 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 12 hours ago. 39 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service