<moderator note>
The author of this thread is no longer a member on the site. The discussion is not closed, but keep in mind you will not get a response from the OP should you choose to post.
</moderator note>

Last night was one of those nights. Getting into a touchy subject. Abortion. I was asked if I would ever have an abortion. I don't know if others think the way I think but here was my response:

No I wouldn't just have an abortion. If I was told I was certainly going to die then yes I would. Why? Because I couldn't leave my three soon to be 4 children without a mother. Call it what you will.

My thoughts on abortion:

You go out, have sex, get pregnant because you are too stupid to use protection, then NO you are not entitled to get one. Tough shit, suck it up and grow up. I don't think an innocent child should die because you wanted to get your rocks off without being an adult and protecting yourself.

Now the other side the fence. I don't think a woman that was raped should have to carry that child. If a man rapes a woman and she gets pregnant I think she should have that choice. So many women get raped and they resent that child. Why should she sacrifice her body for this man that took what he wanted? If a woman was told this baby will kill you I think she should have that choice especially if she has other children.

During a protest outside an abortion clinic in New Orleans in 2004 that I just so happen to walk by. I saw these men and women holding signs calling these women baby killers. Now I got on the defensive because these people didn't know their story on WHY they were getting an abortion.

I calmly walked up to the men and asked them, "What gives you any right to hold a sign when you aren't the one sacrificing your body, time, health, energy?" What gives a man any right to say what a woman should and should not do to their bodies. The woman gives her whole body to this child. What does the man do, gets an orgasm. They don't go though the pain, morning sickness, labor, child birth.

Anyways, they ended up leaving and the women followed them. If it wasn't for a woman nobody would be here. Just food for thought there. So in conclusion. What are your thoughts about abortion?

Views: 628

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sorry, @Milos, I thought it was obvious.

When you say "Absolutely right, Docfessor! I can't believe how many posts on here claim that a fetus is alive, like so many right-wing sites do", are you really claiming that TA atheists must all hold the most extreme version of support for abortion on demand?

How is that not establishing an orthodoxy? It's way beyond not believing in gods.

If then you look at the responses to @Savannah like the one she quoted, how is that not defending an orthodoxy in a most anti-intellectual manner?

I'm sorry @Doctor, I thought orthodoxy was a pretty straightforward thing.

Let me explain to you though...

are you really claiming that TA atheists must all hold the most extreme version of support for abortion on demand?

No, not at all. but according to your quote (below) you seem to think that we should all stick to an extreme to suit your definition of a community that is united only in one thing (disbelief in gods).

I'm fascinated by how many posts here mirror what can be found on some of the worst right-wing sites, in fact.

That was you, dude, like barely an hour ago. You claim that people here hold views akin to the, and once again, since you seem to have issues with short term memory, I quote, "WORST RIGHT-WING SITES, IN FACT.

How is that not establishing an orthodoxy?

Because it's you claiming that we have an orthodoxy, and using your own accusations against us as evidence. Reality doesn't work that way, Professor.

It's way beyond not believing in gods.

Again, Doctor, the only thing that we all have in common here is that we don't believe in god. That doesn't mean that we aren't allowed to talk about other things as you seem to be implying here. And as you see, and as I have mentioned to you on many occasions, if you just look at a conversation between Arch and Unseen, you will see just how much of an "orthodoxy" this community has.

If then you look at the responses to @Savannah like the one she quoted, how is that not defending an orthodoxy in a most anti-intellectual manner?

I have looked, and I disagree with some, and agree with some. But, as you can see, no one is getting banned, no one is getting shunned, tortured, threatened or killed. So, unlike the reaction you'd get with disagreeing with a religious or a right-wing community, here you might get into an argument and called a silly name at worst.

That is how it is not defending an orthodoxy in a most anti-intellectual manner. Because arguing and disagreeing =/= orthodoxy or being anti-intellectual. But then again, it seems that you still need to bone up on some definitions of the terms you like to throw around.

I'm fascinated by how many posts here mirror what can be found on some of the worst right-wing sites, in fact.  

A couple examples of this so-called "mirroring" so we can discuss what you mean? ,,,or are you just going to let that possibly baseless accusation lay there?

Abortion is a part of class warfare.  I remember growing up in the hollers of West Virginia and the opinion I heard most frequently expressed about abortion wasn't moral or religious.  It was racist...or classicist as we have today in the age of Libertarianism...and was about taxpayer funded abortions.  Back then it was "I don't want my tax dollars going to pay for some n*****s abortion!"  They've cleaned up their rhetoric since then, but the bottom line is still hatred of the lower classes.  The Country Club Abortion...where Muffy found herself with a bunny in her honey and went away for a 'vacation' and came back with a sad look on her face but still wore white at her wedding...happened back in the Fifties and goes on and will continue going on today among the Upper Class.  The issue is not about morality.  It's about whether abortion, contraception, and realistic sex education should be funded by the government or not.  

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service