So it would seem abortion is now a forgiveable sin in this upcoming holy year of mercy...

http://www.koat.com/news/priests-may-forgive-abortions-during-holy-...

Sayeth the Pope himself.

What do you think of this? It's almost more insulting than the original saying that abortion is an unforgiveable sin. This way it's "up to the archdioses" or "up to the priest that they "may" grant forgiveness...." So Woman A may be forgiven, but not Woman B...I wonder what criteria they use to forgive some but not all women for this unspeakable sin, (sarcasm)...

May the Lord be with you.

Views: 2459

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm... I'll have to think on that for a while. ;)

As an atheist, I do not believe in God or souls or Heaven and Hell...So any mention of the above, has no effect on my thinking..

No humor-dar, apparently.

God aborted the foetus so it could join him right away in the sky paradise.

Dr Bob,  You keep addressing the fetus as if it was a person.....What about the Mother who is a real person?   Humans  are truly fallible, and sometimes there will be an unwanted  pregnancy...Are you saying that a young woman has to forgo her life plans  because she used bad judgement?   What if she is still in school and has to drop out due to the pregnancy....What if she is financially unable to provide for this baby? What if she was raped and wants nothing to do with this baby? So many questions and yet all you think about is the fetus.....Parenting is a huge responsibility that needs planning and any new baby needs plenty of love and care....If a woman is not ready for whatever reason, she has a right to terminate the pregnancy in its  early stages...We all know what happens to children with uncaring parents , abuse and neglect....That to me is far worse than a termination of a pregnancy...

"If a woman is not ready for whatever reason, she has a right to terminate the pregnancy in its  early stages...We all know what happens to children with uncaring parents , abuse and neglect....That to me is far worse than a termination of a pregnancy..."

I quite agree. This is why the law was introduced. An attempt to produce the maximal overall good and minimise overall suffering. Imperfect? Certainly.

A friend of mine had an early abortion when she was 21. She maintains it was the best decision of her life although she agonised over it. She was a bit of a hell-raiser and not ready to be a mother. She says she would have resented the child and shortly after the birth would have happened her and the man that would have been the father bitterly broke up. She now hates him. She is also now at 36 happily married and the loving mother of two children. Sounds like a good decision to me in this case.

We all know what happens to children with uncaring parents , abuse and neglect....That to me is far worse than a termination of a pregnancy...

If abuse and neglect are far worse than termination, then it should be OK for parents to terminate their unwanted kids at any point, rather than have them face the possibility of neglect.

I think your friend's decision not to try to raise a baby at that point in her life was likely a good one.  I have had several friends that would have loved to raise such a child as their own, who at age 36 were left without young members of their family to care for. 

Bob... as Simon said... if you don't think there is a difference between a child and a zygote, regardless of the context... then there is no point discussing this with you. You've let your ridiculous infantile sky God religion overtake your most basic critical thinking skills.

See this is why I consider Bob a valuable member of this board; a valuable reminder of what religion can do to an (otherwise) intelligent mind.

Yes. I have actually become pretty good at predicting how theists will justify or explain away their dogmas and irrational stances on polemical problems and humanist issues. I can almost predict what they will say sentence by sentence.

Simon, if you don't understand that a zygote is a fully independent genetic human being then I'm not sure what to say. 

There are differences between a "zygote" and an "infant".  There are differences between an "infant" and a "child".  There are differences between a "child" and an "adult".  

These are all just words that we use to describe different stages in the life of a human being.  If you terminate the life at any of those stages, then the human will not grow to the next stage.

This is just science and rationality, not religion. I'd humbly suggest you give up your mythology of "Sky God" opposition that seems to define how you look at the world. ;)

Hi @Freethinker,

I think you're right in that many extreme right-to-lifers do not show anywhere near adequate compassion for the mother caught in difficult circumstances.  It is a failing.

However, as a rationalist, don't you think that most of what you mention is just as possible after a child is born?   What if financial circumstances change and she can no longer financially provide for the child?  What if she wants to better herself by going to school, but having kids to care for doesn't allow her to and causes her to drop out?  What if she's had a hurtful divorce and wants nothing to do with her former spouse's child?   What if she just discovers she's not ready?

Do any of those things justify killing the child?   Of course not, though in the news we see that happen often enough.

What all of those things do mean is that we as individuals and societies have an obligation to do a much better job then we do of providing resources, a living wage, and other support to mothers and families.   Doing that is harder and takes more sacrifice than just allowing people to terminate the "unwanted", of course, but I think we all should stand supportive of all of the "unwanted" humans of all types in need of solidarity and compassion in the world.

RSS

© 2023   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service