In this discussion I would like to talk about abortion. It is always something I have felt very strong about and would argue to the ends of the earth on. I have always been Pro-Life, always. Ever since I became an Atheist, this topic keeps popping up in my head. Since it is something I have not wanted to confront, I have been pushing it to the back burner. Now that I have given it some thought I would like to tell you where I used to stand and where I stand now. When I was a Christian my thought process was "Abortion is Never the right choice unless the mother and child will both die." So even if the child were to survive and the mother dies, abortion is still not the right choice. Some might even consider that murder, I guess. To answer this question I'm sure someone will ask, Yes I would have and still would give up my life for my child. Well, now I'm sort of seeing things a bit different. If a female gets raped and gets pregnant from it, abortion is ok, (sad all the way around - for everyone).  If a woman chooses to abort a baby due to the risk to the mothers life, Ok. If the baby will have a very very very difficult life and in turn make the parents have an equally difficult life, ok. To me abortion is a horrible thing, if someone wants to have an abortion just because oops I got preggo. That is horrible. If you don't want kids do everything in your power to NOT get pregnant. Simple as that. Life is a beautiful an precious thing, and yes I do believe it is special.  Any and All comments are welcome :)

Tags: abortion, pro-choice, pro-life

Views: 3666

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I cannot find the words to describe how disgusted I am by those who would bring unwanted children into this sad, vastly overcrowded world.  Nor can I find the words to describe how disgusted I am with those who want to force their religion on others.  I am particularly disgusted by those who are too stupid to see that the entire abortion controversy is a recent invention, trumped up in order to use people's emotions to get them to vote for theocracy and against their own interests.

I do accept abortions in the case of... rape.

Do you also accept murder of innocent newborns who are the product of rape? If an innocent fertilized egg has the same rights as a human, why the distinction?

You're what I call one of those "mostly pro-choicers" who is only pro-life in the case of promiscuity or failed birth control. Basically, you think a female should not become sexually active until she is willing to accept her duties as a baby making machine, the exception being rape because that female didn't "choose" to spread her legs. This is probably due to the way your society views sexuality.

Spot on, Jewelz.

Hot damn!  When you put up posts like this, it makes me want to be the reason you need an abortion.  

Well thank you, but you may not want to roll those dice. Your genetic material appears to be desirable, so I would be obligated to bring your intellectually superior little heathens into the world. I'd do it for science.

Normally the ladies do it for pity's sake, so science is a step up.  

Practice pick-up line: Our progeny could become the scientist that develops cancer cures. Should we go back to your place or mine to...you know...cure cancers?

You bring-up a great point. I am actually really confused on the topic of rape. It is not the child's fault that the mother was raped, but that is alot for a mom to deal with. Maybe they should be protected. That specific aspect is just a big "I don't know" for me. I seem to change my mind every other month on it. By my logic, you are exactly correct.

I find this funny because I would consider myself "mostly pro-life", as I consentrate more on the fetus's rights, rather than the mother's.

I am actually really confused on the topic of rape... I would consider myself "mostly pro-life", as I consentrate more on the fetus's rights, rather than the mother's.

Of the following reasons for abortion (likely death of fetus/mother, ectopic pregnancy, severe deformity, rape, incest, and 'oopsie') I'm willing to bet the only situation in which you're staunchly anti-choice would be that of 'oopsie.' If you're confused or at least think it should be legal for the other situations then you are indeed mostly pro-choice, regardless of what you call yourself. I assure you the only reason you are "anti-choice in the case of oops" is residual religion and cultural indoctrination. You've been told over and over again by the religious right "don't have sex until you're ready to have children," "life begins at conception," and "abortion = murder." I'd love to help you rethink this position.

If you truly believe a sperm and an egg should have humans rights and protection from murder bestowed upon them at the moment they join, then women using most forms of birth control are no different than murderers. Also, you claim you condone abortion in cases such as severe deformity. Why do severely deformed fetuses have fewer rights than healthy ones? Would you allow the murder of a severely deformed newborn? Of course not. You're confused in some cases because a newborn person is not a fertilized egg, and a fertilized egg is not a person. On some level, you realize this.

I'd to suggest a read for you when you have time. It's long, but the best essay I've ever seen on the subject.

Abortion: Is it Possible to be Both "Pro-Life" and "Pro-Choice"? by Carl Sagan

Wow now, no. I think it is rude to lower my opinion on abortion to my victimization of my culture and religious influences. I come to my opinions on my own accord and "oopsies" are problems that are not solved by murder in my opinion. They are solved by life-style changes and suffering to give that child the best life you can. I doubt that you would like it if I called your pro-choice opinions just a side-effect of this overly-liberal biases going on in the current young-adult generation (which I do not believe, but is just an example). And know that I am happy to hear that you would "love" to help me "rethink" my position, but with your initial statement, it kind-of hurts my feelings and makes me reluctant to take you seriously, but I will I guess.

Oh, you bring-up a great loop-hole in my logic. I do not support the killing of humans with birth control. You can kill half-humans (sperm and eggs), but once they are joined I view it as murder. So that is that, and with the severe deformity thing is one that I can not get around. Either I need to make an immoral exception for them or I need to allow it. I guess I should allow severely dis-formed humans to be born, I should not discriminate upon them just because of their predisposition. So that is that in my book.

I do not see how you can not see conception as the beginning of a human life (as a whole human life). The being conceived is genetically a human and should not be allowed to be killed just because of it's age. It is discrimination! (I will try to read your suggestion, thank-you.)

I apologize if I came off as rude. That was not my intention. I was simply pointing out the contradiction in your opinion when it comes to your 'exceptions' for what you consider murder. Your response did clarify things, though I find it hard to believe you think a female should be forced to carry to term fetuses with deformities such as anecephaly. I'm also surprised you think birth control should be illegal.

These are not positions for which you will find much, if any, support among the skeptic community.

Something kind-of funny, but not so funny in you last response is that you brought-up Anecephaly. My older brother and his wife had to abort their first child because it suffered from that disorder. It was very hard for them to deal with, especially sens they too were pro-life. I agree that a human so deformed should not "have" to be punished with the process of natural death (or a horid forced life), but how am I to discriminate upon such a being when it did not choose it's deformity. And there is no way to verufy if it wants to live or not. It is very confusing.

And you are extremely correct on that last point.

@ Zach - Why is it okay to murder in a war and not okay to do a merciful abortion?

p.s. Yeah Mo, I stole that from you lol. Hope you don't mind.

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 2 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 3 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service