In this discussion I would like to talk about abortion. It is always something I have felt very strong about and would argue to the ends of the earth on. I have always been Pro-Life, always. Ever since I became an Atheist, this topic keeps popping up in my head. Since it is something I have not wanted to confront, I have been pushing it to the back burner. Now that I have given it some thought I would like to tell you where I used to stand and where I stand now. When I was a Christian my thought process was "Abortion is Never the right choice unless the mother and child will both die." So even if the child were to survive and the mother dies, abortion is still not the right choice. Some might even consider that murder, I guess. To answer this question I'm sure someone will ask, Yes I would have and still would give up my life for my child. Well, now I'm sort of seeing things a bit different. If a female gets raped and gets pregnant from it, abortion is ok, (sad all the way around - for everyone).  If a woman chooses to abort a baby due to the risk to the mothers life, Ok. If the baby will have a very very very difficult life and in turn make the parents have an equally difficult life, ok. To me abortion is a horrible thing, if someone wants to have an abortion just because oops I got preggo. That is horrible. If you don't want kids do everything in your power to NOT get pregnant. Simple as that. Life is a beautiful an precious thing, and yes I do believe it is special.  Any and All comments are welcome :)

Tags: abortion, pro-choice, pro-life

Views: 3671

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Somewhere in the united states someone wants that baby even if the mother doesn't."

A good friend of mine went the full term and gave her baby up for adoption. She got pregnant even with the use of contraception by the way. She has never spent a day since (it happened about 4 years ago) where she hasn't felt the mental anguish of losing her baby. As a result, she wishes every day she'd had an abortion. I have received hate mail for my views on abortion. The one that sticks in my mind is: "9 months of labour is nothing compared to giving someone a baby" (sic) from a person (woman) who had obviously never been pregnant.

Giving babies away is a very easy argument to use but a route that is strewn with problems - both mental and, in the case of the young, physical. You may have a point with late abortions with those who indulge in casual sex after maturity and use it as a routine method of contraception (something nobody agrees with, I think) but to use adoption as an argument is lazy and mis-informed.
Indeed, creating a human with the INTENT of removing it from it's mother should be a crime. The one right a newborn has is to its mother, all babies should be breastfead for as long as possible to ensure healthy children. So if one does not intent on mothering the baby, the baby should not be born.
I agree with that TAA, I breast fed my son till he was 15 months, Would have went till 2, but I was pregnant with my daughter and it was at that point I had the partial abrupt ion of the placenta and they told me to stop immediately. I breast fed my daughter till she was 2.
Kudos on that. That's another ridiculous point of christian nations and missionaries, that breastfeeding was considered sinful by so many representatives of the church and that missionaries in Africa systematically shut down breastfeeding (used to be common til age 5), which is African women's single best option, in exchange for man-made dairy. Such a crying shame. Another example of patriarchal, engineer and technogeek attitudes trying to surpass nature. The only breastmilk unfit for consumption is that which is ruined by human endeavours (dioxin, mercury, etc).

I had thought about going till the age of 5, but I don't think i could have handled that with two of them..

I know a few catholics that use it as their birth control..

It didn't work for me.. Neither did the birth control.. lol

Literature on fertility controlled by lactation states that it's only 'very' efficient in the first  6 months and that efficiency goes down very fast, especially if one is not 'exclusive'. But on a population level, it did have noticeable impacts and women knew of it well. I think also in precolonial civilisations, being exclusive to lactation was much more natural as food sources were much rarer.

I was not breast fed and I am in perfect health. I have an above average IQ, I am almost 40 and I don't have any wrinkles or grey hair, I don't have any deficiencies or diseases... it IS possible to ensure good health without breast milk. I have already mentioned to you several factors that prevent mothers from breast feeding their children, which you have chosen to ignore.

We all know that, it's not like you pointed out some novel piece of science there. Again, it is about intention not accidents. To intentionally birth and infant with the full knowledge that you will deny that infant's first right, the breast. How healthy 'you' personally are is of absolutely no relevance, it's anecdotal, science has fully demonstrated that on a population basis, breast milk fed infants have less health problems.

Research has shown breastfeeding decreases the incidence and/or severity of (among other things) diarrhea, obesity, general illnesses, urinary tract infections, allergies, respiratory infections, SIDS, insulin-dependent diabetes, crohn's disease, and other chronic digestive diseases. Breastfeeding has also been related to possible enhancement of cognitive development.

The majority of women in the US who choose to formula feed do so out of ignorance and misinformation, not medical necessity. In the extremely rare cases where breastfeeding is not possible, there are certainly alternatives. However, the risks of this sub-standard nutrition should not be disregarded due to anecdotal stories.

I agree with that as well. It is not only cruel to the mother, it is cruel to the child who will want to know why the mother did it? It is one thing for it to be a CHOICE another for it to be mandatory!

Wow.

I gave up a baby 16 years ago and I have never regretted it. Aparantly, your friend wishes death upon the child she gave up rather than the happy life he/she, most likely, now has. That's just selfishness, no offense to your friend. Abortion can cause even more guilt and remorse, beleive me. You may not feel it immediately, but the events of your past have a way of resurfacing on you later in life and causing all sorts of mental anguish. Chances are your friend would regret an abortion just as much as she does giving that child up for adoption, and at least that child has a chance to be someone now.

Adoption is not for everyone, but please don't condemn it as lazy and mis-informed. It is an option that you have if you become pregnant and you don't want to be a parent.

I am just in shock right now over this attitude towards adoption. Wow. Breast milk is now a right? Like abortion, breast feeding or not breast feeding your child is a personal choice. There are many reasons that you may choose not to breast feed your children, or perhapse you are one of those women who's body cannot produce enough milk, or any at all... then what?  

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service