In this discussion I would like to talk about abortion. It is always something I have felt very strong about and would argue to the ends of the earth on. I have always been Pro-Life, always. Ever since I became an Atheist, this topic keeps popping up in my head. Since it is something I have not wanted to confront, I have been pushing it to the back burner. Now that I have given it some thought I would like to tell you where I used to stand and where I stand now. When I was a Christian my thought process was "Abortion is Never the right choice unless the mother and child will both die." So even if the child were to survive and the mother dies, abortion is still not the right choice. Some might even consider that murder, I guess. To answer this question I'm sure someone will ask, Yes I would have and still would give up my life for my child. Well, now I'm sort of seeing things a bit different. If a female gets raped and gets pregnant from it, abortion is ok, (sad all the way around - for everyone).  If a woman chooses to abort a baby due to the risk to the mothers life, Ok. If the baby will have a very very very difficult life and in turn make the parents have an equally difficult life, ok. To me abortion is a horrible thing, if someone wants to have an abortion just because oops I got preggo. That is horrible. If you don't want kids do everything in your power to NOT get pregnant. Simple as that. Life is a beautiful an precious thing, and yes I do believe it is special.  Any and All comments are welcome :)

Tags: abortion, pro-choice, pro-life

Views: 3666

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the link to this site, i will surley read it :)
everybody talks about abortion, how it is all bad and stuff and it is not reasonable or justifiable to have in some instances. how about what i see daily in my job. single moms who are trying their hardest to survive, parents who's life is turned upside down because they did not expect to be grandparents at such young age and have to postpone their dreams of retirement or people bitching about how certain individuals are taking advantage of the system by having more kids and how about all the data that a single teen mom would have much more harder life than if you had child later in life. Why aren't you talking about quality of life rather than quantity. why aren't we talking about harder sentences for rapists and other crimes against women.
YES! RAPISTS NEED MORE PUNISHMENT! Also the current statute of limitations on rape is only four years. This is a gross miscarage of justice! There shouldn't BE a statue of limitations on rape! This crime is in some ways worse than murder. Rapists don't take your physical life [most of the time - sometimes they murder you... or a rape victim commits suicide] they also take your dignity, your status in this culture[ sadly rape victims are looked at as "used goods" at best, and "whores" at worst.], your sense of safety, and quite often your quality of life, enjoyment of consentual sex, and mental health.

It is not just your body that is stolen! Being raped can ruin your life!

Perhaps I am a bit radical... but I had already made a commitment that if I was raped I would return for my rapist later, tie him down, take a kitchen knife, and castrate him on the spot. I would take a conviction of assault/ aggravated assault as a badge of honor, because I KNOW our society would not give me proper justice.... and so I would get it for myself.

Of course, the castration WOULD have a point besides retribution. It would insure that he could not pass his malignant genes on to any future victims.
I'm with RM on this! Castrate the SOB!
If you don't say it twice, then you are only half with him.
Castration would change nothing in rape rates.
An atheist who is a pro-lifer? Interesting... you are the first one i have met that was not religious. It is nice to hear a calm and rational argument for a pro-life stance. I myself am pro-choice.... but I can't help but respect you because you have not spit nonsense at me like "Birth Control Pills are the same thing as Abortion" [see Right to Life website!] or crap about "souls" - I do not deny that an embryo has life... I just don't think it has a soul... but then... neither do I. lol [Probably my favorite "crap about souls" is the claim that every sperm has a soul in it that should not be prevent from concieving - i.e. contraception is murder - any kind]
I would like to applaud you for allowing for women who cannot bear children and keep their life and women who are forced into a pregnancy against their will [rape] to have abortions. I have an Aunt who fell into the first category. I have never seen anyone want a baby more than her... but I believe she has "an enlarged heart or something similar" and thus childbirth would put her at very high risk for cardiac arrest.
She DID get pregnant accidently [contraception doesn't always work] and when she walked into the abortion clinic to destroy the child she had always wanted... some protester called her a murderer.
My uncle [her husband] sat him down and explained that he was having to choose between the life of his wife... and that of his child. Let's just say the man went silent when he heard this. He had expected her to be one of the women who had a choice.
who the hell said sperm has souls? that's probably because in the bible, people never masturbated because they didn't know how fast their body could reproduce the stuff.
There are MILLIONS of them...PER LOAD. I've wiped off entire civilizations that were drying and crusting around my navel with a dirty gym sock.- Bill Hicks

My mother (almost 80) thought that bit was funny as well- when I mention Bill she says "Is he the guy that did that bit about the gym sock.
Of course Monty Python's- "Every Sperm Is Sacred" classic
who the hell said sperm has souls? that's probably because in the bible, people never masturbated because they didn't know how fast their body could reproduce the stuff.

Religious views often deal with "ensoulment" upon conception. An atheist would have to accept this magic to accept that a zygote is a person. But, if they accept it with no magic, then they would have to accept that the "soul" or "personhood" is being carried, at least in proportion to size, within gamete cells. So, maybe each time RM sees Cupp on Fox News, he is merely killing hundreds of thousands of people as opposed to millions.
Just trying to help a brother out.

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 6 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 6 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service