In this discussion I would like to talk about abortion. It is always something I have felt very strong about and would argue to the ends of the earth on. I have always been Pro-Life, always. Ever since I became an Atheist, this topic keeps popping up in my head. Since it is something I have not wanted to confront, I have been pushing it to the back burner. Now that I have given it some thought I would like to tell you where I used to stand and where I stand now. When I was a Christian my thought process was "Abortion is Never the right choice unless the mother and child will both die." So even if the child were to survive and the mother dies, abortion is still not the right choice. Some might even consider that murder, I guess. To answer this question I'm sure someone will ask, Yes I would have and still would give up my life for my child. Well, now I'm sort of seeing things a bit different. If a female gets raped and gets pregnant from it, abortion is ok, (sad all the way around - for everyone).  If a woman chooses to abort a baby due to the risk to the mothers life, Ok. If the baby will have a very very very difficult life and in turn make the parents have an equally difficult life, ok. To me abortion is a horrible thing, if someone wants to have an abortion just because oops I got preggo. That is horrible. If you don't want kids do everything in your power to NOT get pregnant. Simple as that. Life is a beautiful an precious thing, and yes I do believe it is special.  Any and All comments are welcome :)

Tags: abortion, pro-choice, pro-life

Views: 3418

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I kinda love how smug and self-righteous this comment sounds in my head!

oh no wait...that might be because it is smug and self righteous

Naw!  Christians...smug and self righteous!?  Surely, you jest, sir!

When will the Christian mentality learn that there are other, more valid, worldviews than just the Christian worldview.  As someone state, get a grip.

Mentality is the one thing christians lack.

Ooooh, epic burn, atheists!  He trolled you all real good.  Time to celebrate with some self-congratulatory masturbation, eh?  Killing more babies....  Mmmmmmm!

Sounds like dinnah time!

We already HAVE learned, that's the thing. It is you who lacks education.   :)

I don't really ponder abortion nor do I obsess over it.  There's no logic in being saddened by someone else choice, whether it was based on selfish, callousness or what not.  Not my problem.

But if the person's (the mother) choice is murder (as pro-lifers see it) then is it not societies responsibility to defend the victim (the fetus)?

I would conjecture that conciousness defines life, therefore once the foetus develops conciousness (not sure exactly when but I do recall that this does happen during pregnancy, I'll try and find references if ya like) it's a baby and abortion is wrong, however before this point I think the wishes of the mother/father should be upheld. I would expect a lot of people would probably reject my conciousness = life theory though :P

consciousness without free will is worthless.

Without free will / self determination, we are but vegetables. Yes vegetables are life... but...

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service