In this discussion I would like to talk about abortion. It is always something I have felt very strong about and would argue to the ends of the earth on. I have always been Pro-Life, always. Ever since I became an Atheist, this topic keeps popping up in my head. Since it is something I have not wanted to confront, I have been pushing it to the back burner. Now that I have given it some thought I would like to tell you where I used to stand and where I stand now. When I was a Christian my thought process was "Abortion is Never the right choice unless the mother and child will both die." So even if the child were to survive and the mother dies, abortion is still not the right choice. Some might even consider that murder, I guess. To answer this question I'm sure someone will ask, Yes I would have and still would give up my life for my child. Well, now I'm sort of seeing things a bit different. If a female gets raped and gets pregnant from it, abortion is ok, (sad all the way around - for everyone).  If a woman chooses to abort a baby due to the risk to the mothers life, Ok. If the baby will have a very very very difficult life and in turn make the parents have an equally difficult life, ok. To me abortion is a horrible thing, if someone wants to have an abortion just because oops I got preggo. That is horrible. If you don't want kids do everything in your power to NOT get pregnant. Simple as that. Life is a beautiful an precious thing, and yes I do believe it is special.  Any and All comments are welcome :)

Tags: abortion, pro-choice, pro-life

Views: 3419

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am absolutely one hundred percent against abortion when it pertains to my life!

But what you do with your uterus, is your business and does not have room in my mind; for my morals to trump or over turn the ruling you deem appropriate for yourself.

I am not in your shoes, I am not living your life, and for me to have an opinion of what you do; is morally wrong. The whole fact that we have freedom of choice to choose whether to be atheist or not can be compared to that as well.

If you ask your government to tamper with your uterus, you may as well tell them to take your right to free thought away too..

I think it is morally wrong to kill some one who is an adult too, but if it came down to my life or theirs, I would do it.

I attempt to not judge others by my morals and standards of what life should be, but rather let them live their life, and me live mine..

However having said that, I do agree that everyone should protect them selves from becoming pregnant, if they don't want children, but if it slips up and happens, and she knows she can not give the child an adequate life, or that she will not be nurturing as the child deserves then no I do not think she is wrong for having an abortion. That is her morals, her issues not mine.

I'm not going to impose my morality or ethics on another. I had my children young - we stuck it out and raised them.That was my choice ... I allow for others to have that choice as well. 

By the way - I'm also for taking every safeguard to protect yourself... I personally knew girls who got pregnant because they didn't or wanted to know if they could ... Then aborted. I struggle with that knowledge. 

Apes sure are funny creatures.

It's a long read, but it's Sagan so it's worth it.

http://www.2think.org/abortion.shtml

I used to walk that rope too but life is too complex to make things so black and white.  For example, you talk about sacrificing your life for your child, but what of the other people in your life?   If it is a life threatening pregnancy and you have two other small children at home who rely on you and would be devastated by you dying.  I actually don't like the idea of sacrifice, yeah I'd jump in front of a car to save my child perhaps but is someone wrong or a bad person if they don't?  Also, there are unforseen circumstances in everyone's life.  You are happily married or in a steady commited relationship and your partner leaves you alone and pregnant. You and your husband are doing great, have steady jobs and you get pregnant.  Well 9 months is a long time, your husband gets laid off and you find out that your mom is dying of cancer and you need to care for her.  The burden is too much for most people. This happens to people it's life.  Life is a beautiful and precious thing, and I don't think most people are using abortion as birth control.   I used to be a conservative Christian, but as I sit and think about what is good and bad I realize we are just human, we all have our limitations. 

Actually, I don't know anybody that gets 5 or more abortions per annum.

And try to conceptualize that you didn't exist and you were not the fetus in your mother's womb.  If she had aborted that fetus, you would have felt the same amount of regret over it as every other person that never existed.  

They do not EXIST.

So, people who do not exist are assholes?  And if we had been aborted, we would never had existed.  Which means Pro-Lifers are saving us from becoming assholes!  But, how can they do that retroactively?  They'd have to fertilize every egg and sperm to save all those nonexistent people from being assholes via their nonexistence.  

You know, I'm stone, cold sober right now.  Sad, isn't it?

"Almost 950 of those having a termination had already had four. Almost 200 had already had five, 110 had had six before - and 54 seven or more.

This is to much. I would consider this using abortion as birth control. If you know you don't want kids (hence 2 or more abortions) then you should get your tubes tied, I would think it's cheaper in the long run and you really wouldn't have to worry about getting pregnant ever again. not to mention it's reversible, in case she ever changes her mind. IMO

With a population of 307,006,550 (as of 2009, according to the US Census), 54 people is 0.000000175 percent of the population, or one in every 5,685,306 people.

Yes, it is a strange thing to be so worried about.

A lot of the pro-life people are also anti-birth control, which seems like a way to cause more abortions and tells what they are really concerned about:  sex!  They are obsessed with stopping all those people from doing the nasty!  It makes them feel so dirty to know all that humping is going on.  Yet another indication of the infantile nature of the religious mind.

Most of the time they will not tie your tubes and every state is different, In Al where I am from, you have to have at least 2 kids before they will tie your tubes.. It is easy to say this is what should be done, but you have to change the unmoral laws that govern it..

Same way with the IUD most places will not allow you to have the IUD until you have at least on child? Once again it is my uterus, if you are going to make laws that make it illegal for me to have my tubes tied, or to pop an IUD up there then leave the abortion in place..

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com