In this discussion I would like to talk about abortion. It is always something I have felt very strong about and would argue to the ends of the earth on. I have always been Pro-Life, always. Ever since I became an Atheist, this topic keeps popping up in my head. Since it is something I have not wanted to confront, I have been pushing it to the back burner. Now that I have given it some thought I would like to tell you where I used to stand and where I stand now. When I was a Christian my thought process was "Abortion is Never the right choice unless the mother and child will both die." So even if the child were to survive and the mother dies, abortion is still not the right choice. Some might even consider that murder, I guess. To answer this question I'm sure someone will ask, Yes I would have and still would give up my life for my child. Well, now I'm sort of seeing things a bit different. If a female gets raped and gets pregnant from it, abortion is ok, (sad all the way around - for everyone).  If a woman chooses to abort a baby due to the risk to the mothers life, Ok. If the baby will have a very very very difficult life and in turn make the parents have an equally difficult life, ok. To me abortion is a horrible thing, if someone wants to have an abortion just because oops I got preggo. That is horrible. If you don't want kids do everything in your power to NOT get pregnant. Simple as that. Life is a beautiful an precious thing, and yes I do believe it is special.  Any and All comments are welcome :)

Views: 4832

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haha!
Can't support it, abort it. It's as easy as that.

I see no problem in abortion, people put too much accent on the unborn fetus. Think perspectively and on long-term. The consequences of having an unwanted baby are deep compared to just aborting it today.

Also,

And for the lols,

I also think the actual process of abortion is disgusting, but it depends on the mother. if she is using an abortion as a biological mulligan of some sort, that is wrong. if you weren't ready for a kid BEFORE the pregnancy, I doubt you will rapidly become ready. But, IMO it's the mother's choice. It shouldn't be anyone else's.
I also think the actual process of abortion is disgusting

So is heart surgery!
I sure wish that pill had been available in Canada when I needed it. It was only available in France at that time.
Abortion does not concern me as a male, I support women and view them as a responsible and equal member of society and it is with that understanding I do not seek to limit or remove their rights to end their pregnancy in any way they seem fit, at any time they seem fit.
I'm just going to add that even for atheists/agnostic/non-believers/or people of other Religions, the religious climate of the United States is the backdrop for this debate.

Even if we don't believe in God, most pro-life arguments are derived from religious reasons that were turned into secular reasons.

A good example to illustrate what a non-religiously rooted debate would like is Japan. There is little moral stigma to abortion in Japan. It's just not viewed as a huge problem b/c of the lack of religious condemnation.

In the end its all about, you're trying to argue the RIGHTS of an entire class of people, and that's not something that should be done based off emotion alone or without acknowledging that your arguments come from a place other than just rationality but from a religious history in this country.
Would you guys be ok with me killing my mother?
I was just curious. I'm sorry if I am (in your opinion) off-topic.

Maybe my reasons have something to do with the choice she made (to be or not to be a mother)...
I don't recall being asked if I wanted to be aborted or not. And since it is my own privately body (in any phase) shouldn't I have a say in this? It's not like I'm questioning a woman's reasons for putting a phone on vibrate in her vagina... I'm talking about a person. If we choose randomly who to abort why don't we choose randomly who to kill? Do you have children? Have you thought about abortion when you got pregnant? If yes, do you regret not going all the way with it? How is someone aborted worse than Adolf Hitler or the guys who keep religion and all it stands for alive? Why did they get a chance to live? Should we blame momma Hitler for the Holocaust? Should we blame the mothers of those who could've get rid of religion earlier for deciding to get an abortion?
So why should someone else decides for me? If I don't like life there are many ways to end it.
I got all this from your first post... and I agree. But many people can't make informed decision... why should those people decide for an unborn with the same incapabilities?

RSS

© 2017   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service