I am curious what you all think about a city that is only only for science. No religious institutions are allowed to be built in the city. Science and free thinkers only.

The best example I could give would be a island similar to the show "LOST" Or perhaps even the video game Bio Shock (with out the crazy stuff) Yes I have a 360! Or hell, even SeaLab 2021 they implode in every episode!

Would a city of this stature ultimately implode just like Lost and Bio Shock/SeaLab 2021? Yes I know those shows are sci-fi. But really!

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts oh this science/atheist city!

The coolest part for me about a city like this is that there would be a true community. Where everyone you meet is atheist! How cool would that be!?

Tags: atheist, city, island, science

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps we can get our atheist buddy Bill Gates on board!

Dark ages or not, they would still be jealous and they would still do anything they can to ruin it for us too.

A small community does sound great. I guess a group of people can do that, but when it comes to cities and states, it would be very difficult to leave in peace.

The bigger question is: Would people give up everything and everyone they have and know, to start all over again in, most likely, a different country or at least a different state? Some are too old to do that, and would much rather spend what time they have left enjoying and doing the best they can with what they have left and with what they have gathered their entire lives. I am still very young and it's hard even for me to cut any connections with some people. I did it with my father, which is a religious nut, and even then it was hard and it still is. But it would be a nice little adventure to try with a few people, building a community. Like I've said, for a big community, you would need a lot of money, first of all for protection from the rest of the world which would be 100% religious and willing to get rid of us, then for building houses, schools, hospitals, etc. How will you earn money in an isolated community? If you have a qualification as a, let's say pilot. a race car driver, you're a former minister, etc. , what would you do in such a community? You can't just isolate yourself from the rest of the world without great consequences. Something like this has to be thought over and over and over again. Who would govern that community? I'm sure there would be a fight for power, even in such a community. It's a too quixotic idea to make it happen.

The best solution is to just take control of an actual community, and turn it into a religious-free community, which would mean ban all the religious people. That's more likely to succeed. Let's move to Sweden or Estonia, or some country that is already pretty much religious-free. That would have more chances of succes than starting from scratch.

Very true. Only a few atheists would join simply because the others already have lives somewhere else. Moving from a well paying job in the city to a small town (albeit populated by atheists) where you cannot practice your particular skill set would discourage many.

I actually agree, if all atheist gathered in one place it would be easier for THEM to bomb us in one clean swoop. And if we are all over the world we can submerse our viewpoints and achieve anything :D

Indeed, it would be cool... to some extent.

But I don't think they would implode just because there is no religion in them. That's absurd. Off course, they would be bombed by theists, that's for sure, and they would be an easier target, with no casualties from their side, which, in their opinion, will earn them extra points with the big man.

If it's not a religious-free world, a city doesn't change anything, at least not for me. An island would be even worse. Why should we run off to some isolated island when this entire planet is ours as much as it is theirs? That wouldn't help our cause at all. They would still be living on the same planet as we do, they would still do nothing to protect it, they would still kill each other, they would still want to exterminate us - with an even bigger chance of succeeding, they would still be religious, they would have 100% percent chance of brainwashing their children, etc.

Unless we do our best to find a way to go and live safely on another planet, anything else is useless. And to do that we need a lot of people with a lot of dough and a lot of balls. Sadly, our majority only has the latter.

You bring up some good points E.  I wish I could write more... I have to get ready to go to work...

The coolest part for me about a city like this is that there would be a true community. Where everyone you meet is atheist! How cool would that be!?

It would not be that cool, because you would meet agnostics too. Or is it 'Just Atheists'? That would be cool. I don't like insecure people. :)

The only problem I see with it is that this city/state would discriminate against theists and also inhibit free-thought. If being an atheist is a key factor in being a citizen, then it would be a dogma that, once refused by a person, would excommunicate that person. The discriminating part is pretty obvious, I think.

I wouldn't want to be part of an atheist-only city/state unless it would arrive at this state naturally and coincidentally, not by accepting only atheists.

I wouldn't have a problem with a city that would accept religious people too, but religious people that had to read the books related to their religion like they really are, and that understand that all evidence points in the opposite direction, but still chose to believe and worship a god - but not to the point that it affects others. And I would make them all sign an agreement that they will not raise their children with that religion (or make a law that would make brainwashing children illegal), but let them choose what they want, also based on research. That would be the perfect living enviroment for me, not an atheist only city.
Yeah, I see your point. However, I would have a problem with this kind of discrimination because I believe in equality of rights. I don't think theists shouldn't be treated differently than atheists.

Yes, I believe in equality of rights as well, but I don't think it will ever get to violating a theist's rights into a religious-free city. It will be a religious-free city because only people that don't take religion and god serious would want to live there. From the beginning, you exclude religious people - or even better, religious people exclude themselves out of any city like that. There is no discrimination. So, if they don't want to move to a religious-free city from the beginning, why would any theist want to move to such a city after the community developed? That theist wouldn't stand a chance in such a community, and will end up either an atheist or gone from that city - he will not leave, he will run from that city, without anyone telling him to do it.

I think the best chance to have such a city is for a city whose majority (at least 75-80 % of the population) is not religious to attract other people that want to get away from their religious-packed cities.

I like the way you think.  =]

I would be fine with just living in a city with a MAJORITY of atheists and living among liberal theists.
The city in which I live now leaves a lot to be desired. Heck, the whole state leaves a lot to be desired.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 6 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service