Maybe its just me but I am worried about what seems to be a distinction between being an atheist and a "new atheist" with the new atheists being those amongst us who are more aggressive and anti-theistic. Is the increasing popularity in atheism creating sub-groups? Maybe I'm wrong but if I am right is this dangerous? I would think yes because one of our main issues with religion is how much it divides people. Are we risking this with adding new labels? Are we headed down the same dangerous road? I hope not.

Views: 50

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

[...] If Dawkins once denounced islamophobic attacks on individuals,[...]

I agree that as a humanist claiming to speak for all atheists, it would be a 'humanist' thing to do to denounce gratuitous violence against individual Muslims. That would be a wise political speech. But he is by no means as bad as Pat C. There are days when I think our 'figure heads' should distance themselves from PC. He uses blatantly Islamophobic propaganda produced by pro-Israel fanatics. His videos have become extremist and reek of misinformation, he does not educate, he goes for sensationalist emotional fear mongering. However, I would no way back down on freedom of speech, and freedom from oppressive religious apparel, and sharia proponents, and prayer in public places. Those must all be fought without an ounce of embarrassment.

I underlined individual because some people consider any political action against an ideology as violence.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

A fun test for all you ex-Christians

Started by Emperor Milos in Music. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 6 minutes ago. 6 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service