Question for the atheists...
Is it really true that you think we are just food for the worms?
SO is it ok for you, that when you die, your body will be thrown into a dump site?
Anyway, it don't possess a soul. We don't have to live for 'something', so our life ends at death, and we are 'nothing' after death. A picture would be enough as 'memory'.
Just curious.
Thank you. ;-).

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OH man.. I've got to get my Roslyn cemetery pics up for you.
The church itself is under renovation thanks to all the fame it got from the Dan Brown books and movies, but the cemetery was AWESOME.
That is neat!
do you feel this can be communicated otherwise though? I feel journals & diaries are much richer in history than tombstones, but I can understand the power of presence of a physical monument. Good point.
Journals and diaries are much richer, aye. But there is something totemic about seeing as line of tombstones, all of the same family, going back centuries.
First of all, it doesn't matter if you're OK with it or not. But after you pass, theist or atheist, your body winds up as 'worm food', as you put it. Why should one care what becomes of their body after they have died? Would you rather be mummified like a Pharaoh or otherwise preserved to keep from becoming 'worm food'? I won't mind when I'm dead, just as I didn't mind not yet being conceived since I will simply cease to be. With the electric and chemical reactions in my brain stopped, my body will be a mass of matter that will be recycled into the Earth. That said, I don't view this life as to just become 'worm food'. This life is finite and extremely special. Due to this I feel it is important to make the most of this life and that it makes life all the more meaningful.

I wouldn't want to be simply thrown into a landfill though. Not for my own ends, but out of respect to my families feelings. I actually plan to have my body donated to science, so that it may be used to help others. After that the remains would be cremated to be scattered someplace special to me or my family. I don't understand the need to spend tons of money on a plot, casket and marker. It seems like a waste to me. I'd rather my family not be tied down to a certain area the visit 'me'. I'd rather be remembered as I was, then be mourned. Born of the Earth, return to the Earth, and my matter destined to be recycled in some elegant way.
"The dream of every cell is to be two cells"

My wife and I have three wonderful sons. Our memories will last at most two generations beyond us, assuming grandchildren. My sons have half my genes and thanks to my Y-chromosomes look very similar to me. They are intelligent, well-mannered and delightfully fun to be around. Maybe that part of me will add to the cause after I am gone.

I had the good fortune to work on the design team for the CPU that used to go into the Mac and into very old SUN workstations. That little bit of me might outlast me as an invisible, embedded processor - maybe not. I did manage to scare up three US patents and whether anyone ever looks at them in the future they will still be on file somewhere.

That's my bid for making a mark. I would be thrilled to be ripped apart by turkey vultures and coyotes after I am gone - the worms can have what's left.
I really think that it's up to my friends and loved ones to decide what they want to do with my body when i'm dead. I have no wishes on the subject, because i'm not going to be the one lumped with all the costs etc.

I wouldn't mind a definition of "dump site" either, as couldn't a church graveyard be seen as such a dump site?
A convienient place to bury the bodies of our recently deceased?
I am not my body, I am my actions and their consequences. My body won't be being used any more so why not make it worm food? My brain won't function anymore, so I won't have the consciousness to feel one way or the other about it. The only part of my that will be left is the part that is stored in other people's memories.

As for "living for something" isn't it enough to try to make life better for everyone? If I'm right in my beliefs than this life is all anyone gets. I'd rather spend it helping people than in the futile attempt to satisfy the whims of some ancient goat herders.
Animals as of late have been shown to anticipate the future to a limited degree. But even among primates there is no concept mortality. However instinctive or encoded self preservation is exhibited even among single cell animals. Higher Hominids however have a concept of the afterlife this may have been as early as Homo ergaster. Sociologist may argue that this was a critical part of our social evolution and critical to our ascent.

Arguably, the God complex is first event among Homo sapien sapien. From Cro-magnon on down as evident by Shaman activity represented in the Lascaux cave.

The true question is why when the universe "become conscience of it's self", borrowing from Carl Sagan does it seek to be God and live forever? Why is the universe concerned about where it came from, where it is and to where it is going. Past, present and Future, ordinance in 4-space. Moreover why does the Universe seek to manipulate space-time or be conscience of Cosmic inflation at all. Can the Universe truely step away from itself from a remote position as a artist view a painting on easel and make changes to it?

The God complex in the limit will lead to becoming a god, this appear to be the evolutionary progression in the ascent of man. If this supposition is true and is not falsified then it will lead to the next supposition, out there in the Megaverse there is an entity ahead of us that seeded the universe with creations in its own image. Now we enter the unfalsifiable realm. However we may answer this question through science to which I applaud the work of evolutionary anthropologist who seek to clearly show that we evolved from lower species both intra-phylum and trans-phylum wise, for this would be a strong case for the universe not being seeded and purposeless. Unfortunately due to ceaseless tectonic action any evidence of higher civilization existing on earth in the remote pass has been destroyed by continental subduction. This why I have focused by gaze on the Moon since it is free of tectonic action any visit by man in prehistory would remain a permanent fixture. www.lunomaly.com.
However we may answer this question through science to which I applaud the work of evolutionary anthropologist who seek to clearly show that we evolved from lower species both intra-phylum and trans-phylum wise, for this would be a strong case for the universe not being seeded and purposeless. Unfortunately due to ceaseless tectonic action any evidence of higher civilization existing on earth in the remote pass has been destroyed by continental subduction. This why I have focused by gaze on the Moon since it is free of tectonic action any visit by man in prehistory would remain a permanent fixture. www.lunomaly.com.

In the immortal words of Jerome Horwitz: "Woo-woo-woo!"
I thought those were the immortal words of Daffy Duck...
Gort; Klattu, barada nikto.

RSS

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service