A question of Justice and Equity regarding a flute

Imagine three children, Robert, Carl, and Samuel arguing about a flute. Robert made the flute, and therefore naturally says it's his. Poor Carl, unlike Robert and Samuel, doesn't have any other toys to play with. Samuel also claims the flute because he is the only one who is actually able to play it.

Who should get the flute, and why?

Views: 567

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And I think a goodly portion of that goes to the benefits and retirement programs of the school system employees, which undermines the education of the students.

This country was founded because England had decided that no one from here would be represented in making the Parliamentary laws that most closely affected us. We didn't mind being thought of as English colonists, but we did want some say in the matter.

Today's Congress votes how it wants, without regard for the wishes of their constituents, in short, most have ceased to represent us, and as far as I'm concerned, the, "no taxation without representation" rule didn't apply only to England.

I think that taxing income is a stupid idea with every other tax the government pushes onto people is it really necessary? Since hardly any money is put into the people it goes mostly to Arming and Politicians. While you are taxed on land, food, power, water, waste disposal, driving, owning vehicles and animals (Some places). Than the fact government can take your home and land with out your consent offering only a small amount to buy it or just kicking you out if it comes down to it.

I think taxing your home is all wrong.  Taxing the flow of money is a lot more reasonable.  But you could have a home but no money - and yet you have to pay taxes.  Taxing possessions seems wrong to me.  Taxing money flow is more doable.

In the situation you describe, you can be forced to sell that home to pay the tax.  Which is a horrific injustice.  The usual rationale for property tax is to reimburse the government for the cost of protecting the property from crime, fire, etc. yet the government is forcing people to lose their property!

In the larger picture, do you also agree that people should choose if they wish to pay income tax? Or at least choose their own level of contribution?

I think that's what Greece has been doing for the last several decades, shall we ask them how that's working out?

Who should get the flute?

Dr. Bob.

We started with a flute and are now fixing the US tax system...Damn, heathens are good, damn good. :)

Damn, heathens are good, damn good. :)

Drop the first comma and it starts off sounding like what they would say.

Are we heathens or damn heathens?

I don't know that answer to that one, but I do know that we are over-burdened with an out-of-control bureaucracy.

I feel strongly we are living in the "end times" of the American Empire.

Are we heathens or damn heathens?

What's the difference.... heathens are damned anyway right?

Now back to the original question:

Imagine three children, Robert, Carl, and Samuel arguing about a flute. Robert made the flute, and therefore naturally says it's his. Poor Carl, unlike Robert and Samuel, doesn't have any other toys to play with. Samuel also claims the flute because he is the only one who is actually able to play it.

Who should get the flute, and why?

If this is suppose to be a philosophical problem it isn't;

Let's start with Carl, he doesn't have a toy, big deal, that doesn't entitle him to the efforts of others, go play in the ditch Carl. OK that solves the Carl issue.

Now to Samuel, if he already knows how to play the flute that means he has parents who can afford flute lessons and also have the ability to buy a flute for their spoiled kid.  A nicer one built by an adult with many years of flute building experience, not a shabby one built by the kid down the street.

Which leaves only Robert and a poorly built flute, which may be one of the reasons why 30 years later he turned up on Think Atheist claiming to be a Professor and expert on all things Catholic. 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service