Humans are constantly seeking meaning and purpose in their lives; they want to feel that they matter in the grand scheme. Atheists have come to terms with the fact that there is no ultimate purpose and, so, assign purpose to their own lives.

But let's imagine God is real, and that everyone's life is validated by his/her existence. This god has a plan for each person's life and, when they get to Heaven, God reveals just how vital their role was in his Plan. All these people feel fulfilled and content that they mattered. They are not just debris floating in the deep, dark, lonely space.

Now let's imagine being God. You're all alone in space, drifting through time with no purpose. You have no one to talk to; no one who cares you exist. What do you do? You have a lot of time on your hands after all, and so you create human beings (and other animals) whose sole purpose is to acknowledge that you exist and that you matter. Without the existence of these creations, no one knows you; you are just debris floating in the deep, dark, lonely space.

God is just as irrelevant without his creation as humans beings feel they are without a Creator. Without us, he/she has no purpose. This is much like the question that is always begged when Creationists say that nothing cannot come from nothing, yet somehow God can come from nothing. If human beings can have no purpose outside of a Creator, how can a Creator have purpose outside of a Creator? If there is no Higher Intelligence to acknowledge even the existence of God, how is his/her existence meaningful in the grand scheme of eternity? It's not.

What is more pathetic than the striving of human beings to prove their superiority to other floating debris is the striving of a god to prove its superiority to other floating debris. No matter how far out you go, nothing can validate the life of any one being but that being itself. No matter how much praise this imaginary god gleans from his creation, his/her life is just as meaningless as the rest of ours...

...unless we claim our own lives. "I think; therefore, I am." I am; therefore, I live. I live; therefore I will live... and love, and learn, and make the most of it while I am alive.

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've read a story about humans who had managed to survive the destruction of earth on, maybe, a space port or something. They had a computer that could answer any question about the universe except what the meaning of life was. This went on for millions of years until the computer outlived humans and had become independently intelligent. I don't think it could ever answer the question. Is that what you're talking about?

I completely agree that life has meaning, but only when people choose for it to be meaningful. Live life and savor every last fleeting moment while you have time! It's amazing we exist at all. Existence is enough for me; I like being alive and having the opportunity to acknowledge the existence of the universe. Without sentient beings, no one would have been able to appreciate how awesome all of this is!
Ah yes. How could I forget? It was in the Sunday Morning Service. Thanks Johnny!
My pleasure.

And yes Adriana, one of my favorites too.
" Existence is meaningless and I love every minute of it" Paul Krassner.
I wrote that quote on my bedroom wall when I was 16 years old. Now I am nearly 60 and it still rings as true. Life is fun and interesting and difficult and beautiful and irritating and wonderful. It contains suffering, joy , love, hate, disappointment, wonder, - all that shit. Who needs some sort of outside meaning when you have all that?
Exactly :)
Wow! 44 years. Thats inspiring. When i turn 16 i should create some kind of list of extreme deep thoughts, and quotes and meaningful memorabilia.
If you want to know the purpose of life, watch your dog.
Or your kitty!!
well, cats know that the purpose of your existence is to serve them.
Sooo... if I wanted to emulate a cat's thought process, that would mean the purpose of others is to serve me! Sounds good ;)
If you want to know the purpose of life, watch your dog.

Scratching unabashedly when you have that itch lol. Wouldn't it be nice if humans could be that honest around each other "excuse me, no offense, but I have the most urgent need to lick my balls at the moment, pardon me". Okay, but that's a metaphor folks (for what - I leave that up to you hee hee).

I love watching my dogs. They delight me to no end. I find the different reactions and expressions in their eyes and on their faces utterly fascinating and beautiful.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service