I have a little conspiracy theory I'd like to submit for review.

Basically, totalitarians and would be totalitarians have targeted one group thruout history for destruction or intimidation, and that group is "the intelligentsia", the "intellectual elite" and  intellectuals in general.

The catholic church targeted them, as in the case of astronomers, nazis targeted them, stalin targeted them, mao targeted them, pol pol targeted them and so on. Virtually every fascist, totalitarian regime in history targets intellectuals for destruction or intimidation. In Woody Allen's movie "Sleeper" one of the groups targets for elimination upon the restoration of "the leader" is clearly labeled intellectuals.

It's not hard to see why intellectuals are usually a prime target for oppressors. The dictator doesn't like people who think for themselves, who analyze, who criticize and who may sew the seed of doubt or expose the flaws in their statements. The intellectual is a danger to those who want to think for the people instead of having them do it for themselves.

The thing is that I wonder if there isn't a covert war against intellectuals in america today, a war waged by various factions to quietly surpress the intellectual, to weaken his standing in society, to make the intellectual  a laughing stock to keep the people from listening to him without tne messy expedient of the goon squad in the night, the bullet ijn the back of the head and the unmarked mass grave.

If you look at how intellectuals are protrayed in modern america, it seems pretty clear that someone wants to mock, degrade, denigrate and belittle them.

A while back the SFC did a reboot of "Flash Gordon" which I did not watch more than a little of as in it the main character "Dr Zarkov" was portrayed as a slovenly, whimpering, pathetic geek living in a winnebago and easily terrorized by damn near anyone. He was, as I understand, mocked and ridiculed thru the not brief enough series and made the butt of every joke.

The original Hans Zarkov was a hero who helped save earth and was respected, portrayed in a respectable fashion in the original show. Now, he's a joke.

Likewise, in america today we use terms like "Einstein" and "brain" as terms of mockery and abuse. Scientists used to be respected and admired, even feared somewhat. Now they're pathetic figures that any "smart kid" can outwit and abuse to his heart's content.

Shows like the big gang theory likewise portray intelligent people as spazzes, geeks, losers and undesirables who end up being mocked, taunted, degraded, etc.

Is it just me or does it look like there's a campaign against intellectuals in american society today?. If so, who's behind it?

I blame corporate america for a lot of things, mostly because it is to blame for a lot of things. You don't suppose that corporate america, who controls most media thru advertising, wants to denigrate intellectuals because they make poor consumers, what with their refusal to just accept the latest ad campaign, their annoying habits of researching things to determine what' a good buy is, etc.?

It seems that on ameroican TV now stupid, shallow and selifhs people are portrayed as "cool" and played by good looking actors, and of course stupid, shallow and selfish people make great little consumers becaus rethey're so easy to manipulate and control. "You're not cool unless you have )product x)", the ads say. "Ohmigod!", reply the stupid, shallow and selfish. "I gotta go get that!"

Politicians hate the intellectual as well, for reasons too obvious and numerous to elaborate on here.

So, could there be a covert, subtle war against intellectuals in america today, being waged by those who want a shallow, stupid, selfish population to manipulate and control easily? So instead of just rounding them all up and dumping them in mass graves, they just negatively stereotype them to the point no one pays attention?

could be wrong, but this is how it looks to me.

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The real powers fear technology. This is because it has unforeseen side effects like the internet. This has opened the eyes of millions around the world. The next big thing is A.I. A.I. combined with internet could spell the end of their control. The best way to prevent this is to stop research and the best way to do this is to stop education people. But I fear they are to late.
We shall see.
Not always. Many brilliant people have been celebrated by the common man and woman throughout U.S. history. Maybe society's judgment is just capricious in their value of intelligence and education. Or, maybe those brilliant people have a hard work story attached to their success? I was thinking Benjamin Franklin as a prime example, but he cultivated a pretense of harder work than probably what was involved.
From an outside perceptive , the USA is populated by just two stereo types: Jocks and Nerds. The Jocks always beat up the nerds. The Jocks are always admired and always handsome and successful in sports and business.. The nerds may be smart but they fail in everything are skinny and ugly and usually wind up doing something crazy like shooting students in a school.

Thats what the US Nation popularizes to the world.
Doesn't it make you proud?
To qualify as a nerd you just need to be small or skinny and willing to learn. You should not need to win anything or have the desire to put others down in order to have good self esteem and in fact you should be able to laugh at the idea of doing so. Also not being officially good at sports will put you there too. I was good at sports but had no interest in competing since I could see no point.

High intellect is not a requirement, I think it is more to do with strong self esteem and wanting to learn and be educated.

To be a jock is much easier. You just need to be insecure, aggressive and highly competitive, but I must admit those things often go hand in hand with low intelligence.
Well, half the population have below average IQ s and the those with average and above average IQ s are intimidated by those with superior and higher IQ s, so what would you expect?
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin
Yes he was a genius R.I.P.
When Richard Dawkins was asked, in a television interview, "What is the future of Mankind? Will we evolve into superhumans with giant brains?", he replied:

"Well that would only occur if the smartest people were the ones having the most children. And I think we can agree that is not the case"
Of course conservatives have always been waging war against the intellectuals, both overt and covert. Intelligent people are a major threat to the status quo.
The thing that really gets me is how come the creationist/ID knob heads don't get prosecuted for their blatant lies about science and scientists. I mean are there not laws against deformation of character, misrepresentation, and when they do it in a court room is it not perjury? Could they not be prosecuted for intent to undermine the education system and as a by product child abuse?
Surly some smart lawyer out there can do something about this. There must be money,and history to be made and truths to be proven. After all once these ID people realize it could cost them money ir even their liberty I am pretty certain they will shut up

Perhaps this should be a thread on its own.

But back to the point... do they get away with this precisely because your premise is correct?
I think they get away with it because you'd be hard pressed to find a legal team willing to take on the ID foundations who, ironically, have more money than god.

We'd need Denny Crane.
We surely do!

RSS

Forum

Your kid's friends

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by GTWilco 6 hours ago. 2 Replies

World conflict and problems other than Israel-Palestine.

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 11 hours ago. 54 Replies

Is Anything Worth Saying Anymore?

Started by Ari E. S. in Small Talk. Last reply by Fragile Nokia 20 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service