So here's a reply I received from a Christian when I posted a question to the believers on a thread: Why do YOU believe in god?

To summarize the convo before this: someone asked why I chose the screen name anathema.
It is because I was disowned by my family when they found out i was atheist.
Here's what he said:

"But that's what I was trying to tell you. You are VERY ill advised to try and come between a man or woman and his / her beliefs. You chose your atheism over your family, or rather they chose God over your disbelief. They have NO ROOM for your disbelief. I will never let someone come between God and me. I don't care who it is or how much they offer. Get it? Your views were unacceptable to them. Maybe you can join a cloistered order of atheists somewhere. That's what happens when you challenge a person's belief.

Now, you have no God, and you have no family. I hope your choices were worth it."

Here, a decent Christian came in and told him to be a little less hateful.

This is his reply:

"Yes, compassion is always nice. But what I said needed to be said, because Anathema doesn't understand it. You cannot run around saying, "There is no God." Seventy-three percent of the people in this country don't like that, and there are always consequences for one's unguarded mouth. Heck, I disagree with Anathema, and his view has no place in my heart.

I did say in the previous comment that I was sorry for the situation."

Tags: atheism, christian, hate

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When "god" speaks to me personally or someone comes back from the dead and says they were in heaven and have returned to convert me, maybe then I'll believe!  But, not likely! Because I'll know my brain has become mush!

FUCK this drives me insane. What a callous asshole. I can't believe people can say things like this and actually genuinely feel that way. You'd expect something like that from a forum troll or sexually frustrated 14 year old hiding behind their computer screen. I am completely disgusted to the core of my being about this horrible person's opinions.

Anathema, I really admire your bravery for coming out to your family about your lack of belief when you no doubt could have predicted how severe the consequences might be, and I admire you even more for staying true to yourself despite the ludicrous ramblings of theistic fundamentalists who dare to call themselves moderates.

Christians like that are one of many reasons I am atheist.  Once again not practising what they preach - about being kind to all.

It's sickening how quick they are to judge and say we are selling our rubbish to others, but atheists know more about their holy book than they do.

It's a very human trait to always point the blame elsewhere, and to side with people with the same beliefs.

"Birds of a feather flock together."

I feel sorry for him. He probably doesn't have many friends because he's so polarizing.

I am so thankful for not having a religious family. My father was born and raised a Muslim. When he came to America, he left behind the religion. He never was sucked in by any religion. Though, he was raised in a religious household, he never felt like it was real. My dad always taught us to think for ourselves and make our own decisions in life. He is Atheist, but he always let us know that if we wanted to pursue any religion it was okay. He has 4 kids and every one of us are Atheists. Go figure!
I hope you realize that your father is an exceptional man.  There aren't too many out there with that sort of intelligence, integrity and determination.

I agree. That's awesome.

OH yeah I realized that very early in life. I definitely would not be the person I am now without his intelligence, integrity and determination

"They have NO ROOM for your disbelief. I will never let someone come between God and me. I don't care who it is or how much they offer. Get it? Your views were unacceptable to them"

My father (a muslim) used to say: 'Doubt is the biggest devil.  So don't allow doubt into your heart.' 

Religieus people really see us, atheïsts, as devils.  We bring doubt... and that is not good for religions.   Most of us became atheïsts because we had doubts... 

The most horrible things have once been popular in this country.  Racism, being the biggest one to come to mind.   We all know that popular means nothing when it comes to right and wrong.

It's a shame when  a family adheres to the teachings that closely that they would put their loved ones second to their god.   But that's what the bible says you should do.  Sad.

Theists are currently positioned throughout the power structure in the U.S.  In addition, most non-believers are not aggressive people.  Theists won't have much to fear from us anytime soon.  There may come a day when the law regarding separation of church and state is truly respected again, but even that seems a few years off.

Even if non-believers became a supermajority, I don't think we would ever bully believers simply for spouting off.  That's not the kind of people we are.  It is the religious who are the bullies--just like their god.

Tell this prick that if he doesn't change his attitude and learn to love you and be nice to you and to say nice things back to you -- that I SAID his ass will be burning in HELL for all enternity.  So saith his Lord.

I read that in a book once.....

DeSwiss 

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 35 minutes ago. 63 Replies

Analyzing Ferguson

Started by Unseen in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Simon Mathews 44 minutes ago. 5 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Belle Rose 52 minutes ago. 63 Replies

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 18 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service