So here's a reply I received from a Christian when I posted a question to the believers on a thread: Why do YOU believe in god?

To summarize the convo before this: someone asked why I chose the screen name anathema.
It is because I was disowned by my family when they found out i was atheist.
Here's what he said:

"But that's what I was trying to tell you. You are VERY ill advised to try and come between a man or woman and his / her beliefs. You chose your atheism over your family, or rather they chose God over your disbelief. They have NO ROOM for your disbelief. I will never let someone come between God and me. I don't care who it is or how much they offer. Get it? Your views were unacceptable to them. Maybe you can join a cloistered order of atheists somewhere. That's what happens when you challenge a person's belief.

Now, you have no God, and you have no family. I hope your choices were worth it."

Here, a decent Christian came in and told him to be a little less hateful.

This is his reply:

"Yes, compassion is always nice. But what I said needed to be said, because Anathema doesn't understand it. You cannot run around saying, "There is no God." Seventy-three percent of the people in this country don't like that, and there are always consequences for one's unguarded mouth. Heck, I disagree with Anathema, and his view has no place in my heart.

I did say in the previous comment that I was sorry for the situation."

Tags: atheism, christian, hate

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And, as is so often the case with the argument from popularity, the tone and context make it clear that it isn't so much an argument as a threat.  "Conform or face the mob!"

Christians are the most un-christian of people.

it's funny how saying you dont personally beleive in a god sounds like "fuck you're god and you, you stupid piece of shit christian!" to them.

sadly there is nothing you can do. they are just afraid of what they might find out.

Well, that is what some of us (me) mean when we say we don't believe in god. ;)
true..but i usually tend to be a little more sensitive about it. lol
In my experience it doesn't matter what I say or mean.  Anything short of a complete ass-kissing is insufficient in their minds.  When Christians demand "respect" what they mean is "conform, or else".
I can only be sensitive for so long..but at least I know I'm not like them.

The ignorance displayed by the first commenter just goes to show the whole "My way or the highway attitude". It doesn't matter where you are in this world, you're always going to meet people who disagree with your opinions. It's really sad that your family disowned you like that, family should be there for you regardless of what you believe. 

By saying; "There is no God." Seventy-three percent of the people in this country don't like that, and there are always consequences for one's unguarded mouth" when you merely asked a question "Why do you believe in God"? Just goes to show how easily butt-hurt these religious people can really be. Nothing that you said should have offended anyone. 

I don't know if it would help your cause, but perhaps, if you were to explain your reasons for not believing. I don't at all mean you to try and turn them, just be logical. I find that the simplest of answers is the best. "I choose not to be a follower for the sake of following. I choose to think for myself and therefore have drawn my own conclusion".
Yet more rubbish 'reasoning' from a theist. They claim that you chose 'forcing your beliefs' over family. That couldn't be more false. You stayed true to yourself, but were forcing nothing. I'm sure that you had every intention of respecting your differences and remaining a family. However, it was them that decided total obedience to what they want you to think and do over actually respecting you as a person. I find it so sad that some parents can just toss their kids away over something so trivial. You didn't 'ask for this' or 'make that bed'. It is your parents that are being ridiculous, disrespectful, and unwilling to compromise or accept you for you.
Thank you all for your responses.

Typical.... [.... #] seems like every Christian who posts a hateful comment always follows it with a cop-out piece of bullshit like "Your position makes you an abomination....but I feel sorry for you" "You can go to Hell! ... I'll pray for your soul." "You better prepare because God hates you! ... but you're a lost sheep and he will forgive you when you come back."

BAH!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Torture Works

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Unseen 41 minutes ago. 34 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.