Be sure to vote, I am curious where most atheists stand on this issue.

Views: 3039

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why do you assume a defribrillator would only be useful based on your own health? You might have a guest or visitor who has a heart attack. One has a first aid kit primarily for oneself, I suppose, but also to handle any situations that happen in or near the home whether or not they benefit just oneself.

I haven't assumed anything. I'm speaking of my entire family. Any one of us is more likely to be intruded upon (where we live) than have a heart attack. And if anyone comes to my house they can bring their own defibrilator if they have a heart condition. :)

Like i said, we can't plan for everything, but if I move to Florida I'm not going to say I don't need hurricaine insurance because the people in Canada aren't likely to get hit by one.

Oh, are home invasions fairly common now where you live. Tell me where that is so I can avoid living there.

Defibrillators are boring, though. :-(

Matt, no one tells the difference at a gun shop between a law-abiding citizen and a criminal.

You tell the difference when a criminal breaks into or otherwise gains entry to your home.

Sophie,

If you came from a gun ownership family then you can ignore my plea for you to receive some sound firearms training with your weapon(s) of choice.

I think it was really meant to easily equip a militia army. Back then it was usual to have a small standing army and then quickly increase it with conscription. Anything else was too expensive for most countries. Having people armed meant that there were already trained in shooting and that they owned some of their own equipment. At that time, the best weapon was also a rifled musket. Not automatic rifles.

Having some restrictions on guns isn't a bad thing. That doesn't mean banning them outright or making them to hard to get. There is a healthy middle ground somewhere

In the context of time which that amendment was written, I think it safe to say that all persons had a right to own a firearm. For me the question has always been, at what point the government should restrain ownership of certain types of weapons. For example, should an individual be allowed to own a fully automatic weapon, or what caliber of weapon, etc.

For example, should an individual be allowed to own a fully automatic weapon, or what caliber of weapon, etc.

To me it is irrelevant if your law-abiding. A semi-automatic firearm in the hands of a competent knowledgeable gun owner can make it perform "automatic."

Guns are great and I think anyone (sans convicted felons/etc) should have the right to own one if they wish. Everyone should have the right to defend themselves...911 isn't always an option.

I don't own a gun, but like the idea of purchasing one at some point.

When I think of the mass killings on campuses and the hijackings that led to the killing of thousands of innocents on 9/11, it occurs to me how differently things might have turned out if a few civilians had been armed when the sh*t went down. I don't think banning guns accomplishes much more than leaving them ONLY in the hands of the people we don't think should have them and the authorities, who so frequently don't show up in time to make a difference.

When I think of the mass killings on campuses and the hijackings that led to the killing of thousands of innocents on 9/11, it occurs to me how differently things might have turned out if a few civilians had been armed when the sh*t went down.

Seems like a crapshoot as to whether it would make things better or worse if it even had any impact at all.  I'd wager something like this is highly contextual, and speculation isn't worth much.

RSS

Forum

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Erock68la 2 hours ago. 25 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 4 hours ago. 9 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Pope Beanie 5 hours ago. 134 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 13 hours ago. 27 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 22 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 6 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service