Be sure to vote, I am curious where most atheists stand on this issue.

Views: 2991

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who can't tell the difference between a turkey and a pig?

The courts usually go to what the Founding Fathers meant as the primary interpretation. Back in their day, there was no prohibition on people carrying weapons of almost any sort. In fact, even gentlewomen in those days were frequently carrying at least a knife. Men on the street with rifles and/or pistols would not have caused a stir. 

I have less of a problem with people carrying arms than with WHO gets to carry arms. People with mental problems and established records of violent and reckless behavior worry me.

At the same time, I don't see how we can control weapons at all without taking them away from those who would never cause harm. We'd never consider doing that with automobiles because some people get drunk. That they will be misused is simply something we're going to have to accept.

If someone is terribly concerned with the problem, I suggest they leave the United States. I'm not saying that in the "Like it or leave it" sense, but just realistically that, since it would take a Constitutional amendment to get more control over guns, and since that ain't gonna happen in our lifetimes, leaving the country is what you really need to do.

Or accept reality and hope you will never need a gun.

Tis better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

When asked by a friend who was a Naval Shore Patrol officer why he wore his gun even when off duty, his response was "If an occasion arose where I might need it, it won't do me much good at home locked up in a box."

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 11 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service