Be sure to vote, I am curious where most atheists stand on this issue.

Views: 3073

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a bit more info for the anti-gun airheads: the vast majority of murders, robberies, and other gun-related crimes are committed with pistols and shotguns. These two types of weapons will not be banned in our lifetime, if ever. Possibly never.

@ futilethewinds:

What if your name was on the watch list?

Who decides whose name goes on the list?

How do you get your name off the list?

I don't need a gun. So whatever.

Nice.

I don't need to be an atheist.  Guess your right to be one can just kiss off.

@ futilethewinds;

Where do you live?

Do you have anything I want?

Hmmm...maybe you do NEED a gun.

Given a gun purchase can be denied for a felony conviction and there are a LOT of felonies out there that don't involve actually violating someone else's rights (e.g., drug "crimes"), I am not sure I approve of background checks, period.  I know people who got caught with too much marijuana and now cannot own firearms.

IMO drug laws are like gun laws, they are all illegal, seems freedom in America is what the politicians say it is, not based on common sense.

But on the other hand, since they've shown a disregard for the law once already, they will probably get their gun anyway.

Contrary to popular belief, Canadians own a lot of guns - both long and side arms.  I feel the difference in behavior is that Canadians view gun ownership not as a right but as a responsibility.  No one here would talk about shooting an intruder in their home without being completely ostracized as a nutcase by all their neighbours.  Anyone who drives around with a gun in their glove box is considered a total whackjob.  We sure as hell don't bring guns to our kids' soccer games.

I am always amazed when I see Youtube vids of Americans pulling out pistols to settle disputes.  There is just something built into the culture and this idea of gun ownership being not just a 'right' but a right that one is obliged to practice that commits many Americans to an entirely uncivilized view of firearms.

In some States carrying mace, pepper spray or a stun gun is illegal.

When I collected money at a race track during an NHRA event I carried mace and a stunner, all tools have their place. A Bowie knife, handgun or an RPG would have been the wrong tool choice for that situation

It's too late for America - there is no way they are going to get rid of their guns - or even control any sort of gun ownership, background checks, whatever, ain't goin' to happen. The NRA is strong, vocal and has the money to scare people.

One has to look at American history - American citizens had to fight the government, in that case the English - then there is the Civil War, Americans fighting Americans, it is in their being. They love their guns.

So, Americans will go on killing Americans. Combine disgruntled people, and there are a lot of those,and guns, Voila, another school massacre. Very sad.

But, I am Australian, so what would I know.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

It's all Greek to me

Posted by Simon Mathews on April 15, 2015 at 4:14am 18 Comments

Free at last

Posted by Belle Rose on April 15, 2015 at 1:00am 3 Comments

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service