Be sure to vote, I am curious where most atheists stand on this issue.

Views: 2986

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen this video. I'm even planning to use it in court :)

Am I correct in assuming that you wish to have these handguns for self-defence in your home?

If so, while I respect your right to feel safe - especially in one's own home - you'd probably be poorly served by a gun in most home invasion scenarios. One of your kitchen knives would, in all likelihood, be a better choice.

Point: How does one tell the difference - at the gun shop - between a law-abiding citizen and a criminal?

Point: What obligations do the police have, if not to protect the citizenry?

Point: How does one tell the difference - at the gun shop - between a law-abiding citizen and a criminal?

I'm not sure how much it matters anyway.  Even with a good policy in place, you still have the potential for straw purchasing, and also the theft of legally owned firearms, both of which are more difficult to address.  

That is kind of the point I am making.

Matt, this is all I can really say in response:

Good point.  You should get yourself a Harrison Ford.  Very handy, and you can take him travelling if he's not feeling too grumpy.

I have a friend (an actor) who worked with him recently (Cowboys & Aliens). Does that count? :p

Because a market place on a movie set is EXACTLY the same as your kitchen. :P

Yes, I get it - and I also think many guns are a fantastic melding of both form and function. Don't get me wrong - I like guns. They're sexy, loud and are a blast to shoot (no pun intended). I'm also in favour of responsible gun ownership.

However - when you are in a violent confrontation with someone within the confines of a house, blood pounding in your ears, adrenaline making your hands shake, plus the quite real possibility that it will be at night and thus poorly lit, a "fuck-off-big shiny" knife is a better force multiplier than a handgun. Years of training and practice can offset these factors, though, if you were willing to put in the time.

Matt, does "blood pounding in your ears, adrenaline making your hands shake" describe you?

"you'd probably be poorly served by a gun in most home invasion scenarios. One of your kitchen knives would, in all likelihood, be a better choice."

I am not a fan of bringing a knife to a gun fight. Or even suggesting a female should engage a male intruder in hand to hand combat. A firearm allows you to maintain your "comfort zone."

I always wonder about people who feel they need a gun to protect life and limb, in case of a home invasion, for example. If that is the real reason they need a gun, do they also have a home defibrillator? I ask because someone having a heart attack in the home is a far more likely event than a home invasion.

Wouldn't that depend on your location and health? Where I live, and with my good health, I'm much more likely to experience a home invasion. If I had a heart condition I might invest in a home defibrilator, just as I would have an EpiPen on hand if I had severe allergies.

No, one can not plan for every scenario, but using the whole country (or world) to come up with odds doesn't work either.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service