I have a weird situation that I'm not sure how to handle.
My old youth pastor is my friend on Facebook and sent me a message asking me why I'm an atheist.
Now, I respect him as a person so I don't want to be rude or snarky in answering him. It's also not my goal to convince him that his beliefs are wrong....even though I tihnk they are.

How can I say, "The existence of God doesn't make sense" and "religion is a horrible plague that spreads hate and misery" without sounding like a douche bag?

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with Nelson, it's a tough one, but making it clear that the proposed evidence for a god is insufficient and in many cases self-contradictory should help.
These are a bit snarky but food for thought.

You define 0.01% as a “high success rate” when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

You feel insulted and “dehumanized” when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in “tongues” may be all the evidence you need to “prove” Christianity.

I found these from this very site.

Stay strong! Nelson is right.
Ok guys, thanks so much for all the advice. As always, I appreciate you and the community we have on here.
Here's what I wrote in response:
"The atheist thing sort of came about over time. I'd always struggled with believing in all of it even when I was a little kid. I wanted to believe but, from what I've found, the existence of God doesn't make sense.
I could go into the whole evidence and science thing but I know the likely response to that will be the argument of faith taking the place of evidence. It's a circular debate.

There was no "if god existed then (insert bad event) would never have happened!" moment. There was no one whispering in my ear telling me god wasn't real. I just began evaluating what I believed and why."

Brief and to the point.
That's good! If he does find this insulting or rude or (dare I say it?) snarky in any way, then I'm sorry, but he's doing it on purpose. Okay, maybe not consciously, but still... yeah....... :D
Very good reply. He should be able to respect that answer. And if not.... well, he was just looking for and argument then. Let us know if he replies. : )
I agree let us know :]
So this whole thing turned out to be pretty anticlimactic. His response was just telling me about how the kids are that he does missions work with in Amsterdam. No attempt to convert me, none of that.
Not what I expected.
Secretly I was sort of looking forward to the challenge.
Well, I'm glad there were no hard feelings.
...there will be other battles!

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service