Ecclesiastes 3:18-21. I've emphasised the key bit to remember:

I also thought, "As for men, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals. Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; man has no advantage over the animal. Everything is meaningless. All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. Who knows if the spirit of man rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?"

I call this my "evolution text".... contrast with Creationism. Ooooh, what a contradiction! Trust me, it makes their head spin. They gulp and fluster and try and explain it away to make it mean something other than its "literal" meaning. The same people that cuss me for taking Genesis 1 as a myth... Rolling Eyes

On the other hand, if Genesis 1 is a myth, then there is no contradiction. And a theistic evolutionist like myself would even be able to claim it could be an allegory for evolution-- it moves in stages, and I note humans and animals are made on the same day. Also, Genesis 1 clearly states the earth ALREADY EXISTS before the week begins:

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light...

You see that? There no Biblical evidence whatsoever that the earth isn't ancient. It was already there when God said "let there be light".

Reading the Week it seems noteworthy to me that the Hebrews' myth is in the "correct order" of the evolution of life, and that humans and animals are made on the same day (6).

I'm telling you all this, basically, so that if you're so inclined you can point it out to Creationists. It may at least plant some interesting seeds of doubt in their heads, if there is any hope for them. I don't know if we've got any Creationists in at the moment, but I'd be interested in watching you wriggle out of this one, if you're here!

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All the way through this book it says 'man under the sun' or how life appears to human beings.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service