1. Creationists make it sound like a ‘theory’ is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night — Isaac Asimov

2. I don’t believe in God. My god is patriotism. Teach a man to be a good citizen and you have solved the problem of life. — Andrew Carnegie

3. All thinking men are atheists. — Ernest Hemingway

4. Lighthouses are more helpful then churches. — Benjamin Franklin

5. Faith means not wanting to know what is true. — Friedrich Nietzsche

6. The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. — George Bernard Shaw

7. Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile. — Kurt Vonnegut

8. I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. — Frank Lloyd Wright

9. Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

10. A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. — Samuel Clemens

11. The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life. — Sigmund Freud

12. Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

13. The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church. — Ferdinand Magellan

14. Not only is there no god, but try getting a plumber on weekends. — Woody Allen

15. It’s an incredible con job when you think about it, to believe something now in exchange for something after death. Even corporations with their reward systems don’t try to make it posthumous. — Gloria Steinem

Views: 8769

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Was Aristotle nothing more than a useful idiot?

Early Xianity found him useful.

Was he an idiot?

Who else would say women have fewer teeth than men without having counted them?

Two millenia would pass before someone with access to the media counted.

Interesting thread; anyone wanna bring it back to life? :D
Here some of mine:

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. -Albert Einstein

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish. -unknown

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Unknown

Two hands working can do more than a thousand hands clasped in prayer. -Unknown

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. -Gustaf Lindborg

All religions are pieced together out of elements which seem so at odds with reason that any intelligence laughs at them. -Pierre Charron

As people become more intelligent, they care less for preachers and more for teachers. -Robert Ingersoll

The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it. -Robert Ingersoll

Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity? -Arthur C. Clarke

Whatever we cannot easily understand we call God. This saves much wear and tear on the brain tissues. -Edward Abbey

Write whatever you like; the quotable will come

So many brilliant quotes. Sparks that illuminate, maybe set ablaze a mind ready for them.

So good to read, but I pointedly avoid them when writing:
1. No use making my prose, by comparison, more everyday than it is.
2. The quotable (as aphorism) cannot be manufactured -- it comes on its own.

Who can equal Nietzsche (in good translation)? A great artist with humor. Surprised?

A little girl asked her mother,

-- “Is it true that God is everywhere?”
-- “Yes, he is.”
-- “Well, I think that is indecent.”

-- Nietzsche The gay science 2nd ed 1887 preface

the anti_supernaturalist

I finished reading the anti christ recently and got a few nuggets:

"Sacrifice for sin, and in its most obnoxious and barbarous form: sacrifice of the innocent for the sins of the guilty! What appealing paganism!"

"There is a perfect likeness between christian and anarchist: their object, their instinct, points only toward destruction.One need only turn to history for a proof of this: there it appears with appalling distinctness"

"What is bad? But i have already answered: all that proceeds from weakness, from envy, from revenge. --The anarchist and the christian have the same ancestry..."

"...mankind prefers observing poses to listening to reasons..."

"The strength, the freedom which proceed from intellectual power, from a superabundance of intellectual power, manifest themselves as skepticism. Men of fixed convictions do not count when it comes to determining what is fundamental in values and lack of values. Men of convictions are prisoners. They do not see far enough, they do not see what is below them: whereas a man who would talk to any purpose about value and non-value must be able to see five hundred convictions beneath him-- and behind him...A mind that aspires to great things, that wills the meant thereto, is necessarily skeptical."

"Truth is not something that one has and another has not: at best, only peasants, or peasant-apostles like Luther, can think of truth in any such way."

"Not every one may be a Christian: one is not "converted" to christianity-- one must first be sick enough for it..."

"Christianity finds sickness necessary, just as the Greek spirit had need of a superabundance of health-- the actual ulterior purpose of the whole system of salvation of the church is to make people ill."

""Faith" as an imperative, vetoes science--in praxi, lying at any price..."

I loved that man. I would provide more but would require the translation of a translation.

Some of my favorite quotes, that I will and have used when conversing with a theist:

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his decision?

If god has a problem with the way I live, let him tell me.

I found them both somewhere online or in a book, not too sure

This is my favorite

12.Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful - Edward Gibbon

This is so ture

I thought that quote was from Seneca.

I'm pretty sure that this quote is indeed from Seneca.

Edward Gibbon mentioned it in his book on the Roman Empire .. may be that explains it.

I liked them all,,, especially;

1. Creationists make it sound like a ‘theory’ is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night — Isaac Asimov

6. The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. — George Bernard Shaw

FUNNY AND TRUE :D

Of course, Woody's is the best.

Sadly, number 15 is false in the case of those funeral insurance places. At least they do actually (I hope) pay out the value of the policy upon your death (unlike religion).

RSS

Forum

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 49 minutes ago. 27 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 5 hours ago. 8 Replies

Ken Hamm at it again

Started by Noel in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 6 hours ago. 2 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 8 hours ago. 75 Replies

Living freely.

Started by Quincy Maxwell in Society. Last reply by Ed 11 hours ago. 22 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 9 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service