If the Bible was divinely inspired, then why would it have so many really obvious contradictions?

Theological doctrines:

1. God is satisfied with his works
Gen 1:31
God is dissatisfied with his works.
Gen 6:6
2. God dwells in chosen temples
2 Chron 7:12,16
God dwells not in temples
Acts 7:48
3. God dwells in light
Tim 6:16
God dwells in darkness
1 Kings 8:12/ Ps 18:11/ Ps 97:2
4. God is seen and heard
Ex 33:23/ Ex 33:11/ Gen 3:9,10/ Gen 32:30/ Is 6:1/
Ex 24:9-11
God is invisible and cannot be heard
John 1:18/ John 5:37/ Ex 33:20/ 1 Tim 6:16
5. God is tired and rests
Ex 31:17
God is never tired and never rests
Is 40:28
6. God is everywhere present, sees and knows all things
Prov 15:3/ Ps 139:7-10/ Job 34:22,21
God is not everywhere present, neither sees nor knows all
things
Gen 11:5/ Gen 18:20,21/ Gen 3:8
7. God knows the hearts of men
Acts 1:24/ Ps 139:2,3
God tries men to find out what is in their heart
Deut 13:3/ Deut 8:2/ Gen 22:12
8. God is all powerful
Jer 32:27/ Matt 19:26
God is not all powerful
Judg 1:19
9. God is unchangeable
James 1:17/ Mal 3:6/ Ezek 24:14/ Num 23:19
God is changeable
Gen 6:6/ Jonah 3:10/ 1 Sam 2:30,31/ 2 Kings 20:1,4,5,6/
Ex 33:1,3,17,14
10. God is just and impartial
Ps 92:15/ Gen 18:25/ Deut 32:4/ Rom 2:11/ Ezek 18:25
God is unjust and partial
Gen 9:25/ Ex 20:5/ Rom 9:11-13/ Matt 13:12
11. God is the author of evil
Lam 3:38/ Jer 18:11/ Is 45:7/ Amos 3:6/ Ezek 20:25
God is not the author of evil
1 Cor 14:33/ Deut 32:4/ James 1:13
12. God gives freely to those who ask
James 1:5/ Luke 11:10
God withholds his blessings and prevents men from receiving
them
John 12:40/ Josh 11:20/ Is 63:17
13. God is to be found by those who seek him
Matt 7:8/ Prov 8:17
God is not to be found by those who seek him
Prov 1:28
14. God is warlike
Ex 15:3/ Is 51:15
God is peaceful
Rom 15:33/ 1 Cor 14:33
15. God is cruel, unmerciful, destructive, and ferocious
Jer 13:14/ Deut 7:16/ 1 Sam 15:2,3/ 1 Sam 6:19
God is kind, merciful, and good
James 5:11/ Lam 3:33/ 1 Chron 16:34/ Ezek 18:32/ Ps 145:9/
1 Tim 2:4/ 1 John 4:16/ Ps 25:8
16. God's anger is fierce and endures long
Num 32:13/ Num 25:4/ Jer 17:4
God's anger is slow and endures but for a minute
Ps 103:8/ Ps 30:5
17. God commands, approves of, and delights in burnt offerings,
sacrifices ,and holy days
Ex 29:36/ Lev 23:27/ Ex 29:18/ Lev 1:9
God disapproves of and has no pleasure in burnt offerings,
sacrifices, and holy days.
Jer 7:22/ Jer 6:20/ Ps 50:13,4/ Is 1:13,11,12
18. God accepts human sacrifices
2 Sam 21:8,9,14/ Gen 22:2/ Judg 11:30-32,34,38,39
God forbids human sacrifice
Deut 12:30,31
19. God tempts men
Gen 22:1/ 2 Sam 24:1/ Jer 20:7/ Matt 6:13
God tempts no man
James 1:13
20. God cannot lie
Heb 6:18
God lies by proxy; he sends forth lying spirits t deceive
2 Thes 2:11/ 1 Kings 22:23/ Ezek 14:9
21. Because of man's wickedness God destroys him
Gen 6:5,7
Because of man's wickedness God will not destroy him
Gen 8:21
22. God's attributes are revealed in his works.
Rom 1:20
God's attributes cannot be discovered
Job 11:7/ Is 40:28
23. There is but one God
Deut 6:4
There is a plurality of gods
Gen 1:26/ Gen 3:22/ Gen 18:1-3/ 1 John 5:7

Views: 522

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Of all these things, not one contradicts, in fact, most have a huge gap in time(assuming the Atheistic position). Like the First, of the examples, you believe it contradicts when instead one is right after God(so called) created the earth. The other which you assume contradicts it, is years later, when there is a civilization that is found to be sinful. That being, God destroyed the world using a great flood.

Like your opinion of something, it changes as the thing changes(Or conditions change)
But if god is all knowing, and knows the future... How can he change his mind?

If he knows how something is now, and how it will be when it changes in the future, then he knows everything about it. So has it even changed from his perspective?

If he knows everything about something, wouldn't he have a fully encompassing opinion of it? So how can his opinion of it change?
Not to mention where is says that god is unchangeable, and then says that he is changeable. Clearly, both cannot be true. If he is unchangeable, then he cannot change to being changeable.
Have you even read the bible? Or do you like many others take the book for granted and rely on others to do it for you? The same applies, to any one of any religion, knowledge is one of the greatest gifts, however when missed used, it becomes a curse.

Now consider this, place yourself in their shoes(although you may not like it), and read their most coveted book, looking into the life of a Christian, rather than looking skin deep. In most cases, these (so said) contradictions are nothing more than two words used differently. Thus the many reasons to finish reading before responding.

I cannot pretend to know their answers, however I will do my best. (like all of us, only can do). Now the difference in the changing of God, as so said above, is not that God physically changes, or changes his mind. However, although he knows something is happening, perhaps the reason to let it happen. He remains the same, what changed were the people he created, civilization. For that he evidently, based on the bible he purged the earth so that Noah, might start over.

So, that being what the bible say's what really did change? Our opinion(rather those contained in the story), too the point that it affected our behavior and so on.
reading the bible from age 5 till 15-16"front to back"doesnt Qualifyyou to understand it,the bible says that "the natural man does not recieve the things of the spirit" 1 cor.2:14 "you must be born from above"(by faith in jesus) to understand the bible so were u ever born from above?did your spirit ever come alive by repenting from your sins and believing in jesus? if your answer is no then thats why u dont truly understand it.PEACE BRUTHA!!!!!!!!!!
So if you don't believe that Jesus's Spirit has visited you, you can't understand context, language, history and culture? I would suggest that the opposite is more often true. People whom choose to believe like a child never seek the context, language, history or culture behind the words. Understanding the cultures whom created these gods is critical. Simply studying history shows you the evolution of religions. The Greeks fall, so do their Gods. The Romans invade multiple cultures and we have the birth of Christianity. The Ottoman-Turks Empire grows and we have the birth of Islam. Holy Books aren't about the words contained, they are about social control.
Goverments Romans 13-1 Let Every person be in subjection to the governing authorities
Church 1 Peter 5:5,1-3 You younger men, likewise be subject to your elders
Slavery Colossians 3:22,4:1 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh
Marriage Colossians 3:18-19 Wives, be subject to your husbands
Children Ephesians 6:1-4 Children, obey your parents

We currently have Intelligent Design because those whom have been "touched" by Jesus's Spirit have looked at the evidence contradicting the Bible. They have backed themselves into an corner to the point where the god they espouse is no longer the Christian god. They are officially agnostic. Link
Your claim of needing to be touched is an intellectual cop out. If it gives you peace, have at it. But coming up with an impossible standard for us to reach adds no credence to your assertions. The Discovery Institute is made up of some of the most religious people around. They are "scientists" whom have tried to prove what you believe and have been backed into a corner to the point where they have abandoned god. If you would debate on equal grounds without making mystical claims, you'll be backed into a corner too.
You believe because you want to and not because you have been touched or are special.
I get all wet when I hear someone make so much sense :P
I stand in awe. That is a tremendous response.
I agree. Christians are not special, we are just human like you or anyone else. Can we prove through physical evidence that there is a design to the universe. Maybe. Can you prove there's not? Let's try and see. If your up for the challenge.
Have you ever heard of the burden of proof? Those who make claims have to prove them, not the ones who don't accept them to disprove them.

So, I'm going to prove whatever negative argument you want me to when you prove me that pink unicorns don't exist.
Let's suggest (hypothetically) that there is design to the universe. How does that prove a Christian God over the potential of any other God? I say this next part often, but here it goes. The generations of the Bible are laid out from Adam to David to Jesus. Without going into why that means Jesus isn't the Messiah, it does give us a timeline. Bishop Ussher figured out that the generations showed the date of birth of the earth as Oct 23, 4004. Let's say he's off by 50% and it's a 9000 year old earth. There wasn't an Ice Age. Agriculture wasn't ever developed. Dinosaurs, plate tectonics, etc.
Let's take it further. You have heard a car coming at you speeding and how it sounds different as it gets closer then sounds different as it goes away. That's the Doppler effect and compression and expansion of sound waves. The same happens to light causing Red or Blue shift. Using that scale we have seen back to 13.7 billion years ago. It's certainly further back then the 6 days of the creation. about 6000 years ago. Length of days doesn't work here either... plants are here before sun and animals. Certainly you'd agree that if a day wasn't a day the plants would not have survived and that humans haven't been here for 13 billion years.
The anthropic argument isn't going to work because we aren't talking about a Christian God at this point. Most of us are open to the potential of there being a god. We simply don't care because that god hasn't made contact or shown itself. So what would be the point of recognizing it or worshiping it? But fire away if you like. I certainly love discussing it and that's why I'm here.
Let's face it -if there were no so called contradictions and they can easily be explained,you would still not believe it. This goes for everyone. Why make excuses?

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by _Robert_ 8 minutes ago. 21 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 30 minutes ago. 4 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 10 hours ago. 60 Replies

An awakening.....radical acceptance.....

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Belle Rose 13 hours ago. 1 Reply

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service