This article seeks to help theists understand the viewpoint of atheists and relate to them in a respectful way.
1. Understand that Atheists are human beings with the same rights as theists.
2. Recognize that they are community members who are entitled to the same rights as you are in most developed societies.
3. Understand that Atheists recognize standards of ethics and morality, even if they do not match yours.
4. Be aware of the commonality of negative propaganda about atheists, such as "Atheists hate our country". Often this propaganda is not true.
5. Respect their right to hold a differing opinion.
* Learn specifics about Atheism, agnosticism, and naturalistic philosophy, this will make it easier to relate to those you meet.
* Communicate with friendliness.
* Avoid condescension and self-righteousness when debating.
* Debate respectfully and be well informed on your views, your opposition's views, and the standards of respectful debate.