A movement is afoot to demand a $15 minimum wage, both at the state and federal level. 

If it happens, it will mean a better life for many, but will it be a disaster for many as well?

How will businesses respond to a minimum wage that's roughly double what it is now? I suspect this is what we'll see:

1) increased streamlining of workplace processes and the use of workplace technologies to replace workers or make workers work faster, resulting in...

2) layoffs.

3) greater use of part-timers.

4) a ripple effect of increased prices across the economy, affecting those employees who keep their jobs as well as everyone else.

Still think an increased minimum wage (a living wage) is a good idea?

Tags: minimum, wage

Views: 711

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The minimum wage is really intended for people at the bottom of the pile. Teens, still at home, working part time while in high school or retirees just wanting something to get them out of the house along with a few bucks to supplement their small retirement/Soc Sec income. That's what it has been, but with the shitty economy, single parents and people with college degrees and mortgages to pay have been driven into those positions. The solution isn't to raise the minimum wage to $15, it's to fix the economy so that those minimum wage jobs are opened back up to those who don't really need the money that much. The teens and retirees. $21.16? Bwahahahaha!!!

i notice you make no mention of the general wage gap.. here is an article that i think illistrates the similarities between the low paid workers of the last century and ours today. This is a loose comparison if you will. Surely you would admit we would be in a much better place if there were some kind of mechanism for scaling back pay starting from the top and tapering down somewhere around the bottom 3/5 of the wage scale, then letting that excess spread down from there. disposable income is the real issue here. the rate and direction we are heading.. it will soon be the those just above the minimum wage workers in the same boat, further dragging those just above them and so on until the great collapse.

http://news.yahoo.com/henry-ford-genius-wage-hike-104500342--politi...

Well, unfortunately I suspect that if some sort of mechanism were legislated (about as likely as an unexpected solar eclipse), the Supreme Court would find it unconstitutional.

Agreed. I have no delusions that this will happen. I fully expect the collapse or a very long era of a poor majority. Time will tell. Too bad us humans are such greedy fucks.. but i guess that also has played its part in our survival.

If anyone is still interested in this subject here is a link to a recent Intelligent Squared debate on just this subject. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84t4pTUDFGo&feature=em-subs_digest

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 6 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service