A movement is afoot to demand a $15 minimum wage, both at the state and federal level. 

If it happens, it will mean a better life for many, but will it be a disaster for many as well?

How will businesses respond to a minimum wage that's roughly double what it is now? I suspect this is what we'll see:

1) increased streamlining of workplace processes and the use of workplace technologies to replace workers or make workers work faster, resulting in...

2) layoffs.

3) greater use of part-timers.

4) a ripple effect of increased prices across the economy, affecting those employees who keep their jobs as well as everyone else.

Still think an increased minimum wage (a living wage) is a good idea?

Tags: minimum, wage

Views: 723

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unseen- i am not attributing those characteristics to a group as a whole, but it does not matter whether the whole group does this as long as enough of the group does this to continue increasing global warming.

And you are not straw-manning me when you confute an ideological position(capitalism) with a biological one(race) and then argue against me based upon the biological one?

Unseen- i am not attributing those characteristics to a group as a whole, but it does not matter whether the whole group does this as long as enough of the group does this to continue increasing global warming.

So, as long as SOME teachers abuse children, it does not matter whether the whole group does this as long as enough of them continue increasing child abuse? 

And so, what? Throw all teachers in jail whether they abuse or not?

And again you are confuting an ideological position with.... well i am not exactly  sure. Being a teacher is a job.

Why don't you argue against my position using an example which is an actual idealogical position? You know like- ' just because most Catholics  are anti birth control, in public ,does not mean that Catholics are  to blame for the birth control fiasco in Africa'.

That a few capitalists doubt climate change isn't surprising or even relevant. 

Am I willing to turn minimum wage or climate change policy over to capitalists? Which ones? Jeff Bezos? Bill Gates? or even Warren Buffett? Yes! Why not? 

That a few capitalists accept climate change isn't surprising or even relevant.

Sure some capitalists accept climate change and even campaign against it, that does not change the fact that they are dwarfed in size and capital by those capitalists who do the exact opposite because they have a short term financial incentive to do so. If it is at all logical to  want to avoid  the horrors major climate change will bring then we should have a problem with any ideological position that tends to increase the problem even if there is also some effort from within it  to reduce climate change.

Even if all capitalists accepted climate change, given the short term losses in terms of jobs, diversion of government resources from popular programs, probable tax increases, etc., it would STILL be hard to convince a majority of the public to bite the bullet and want the government to do something about it.

What you really want is a dictator.

Unfortunately that is very true Unseen. I don't actually hold out much (if any) hope that we will seriously start to do something about it until our only real  choice is to change or die out. Though i am not entirely pessimistic as i am sure we will muddle through it and come out the end better for it.

I'm totally pessimistic. There are just too many problems (climate change, dying oceans, ozone hole over the poles, bee hives dying off, etc.) and too many ways for people to form doubts or engage in wishful thinking ("Let us pray to God to get us out of this mess through a miracle").

"That is a total non sequitur as far as I can tell. If not, explain it."

Because instead of answering any of the simple questions i asked you immediately attack me with a strawman  argument .

Did not.

Is it not a stawman to confute an ideological position with a biological one then argue against the biological one to refute the ideological position?

Do you not see any important differences between being  a capitalist and being born to a particular race?

Oh boy this is a fun one.  I have to disclose that I am in the Painters Union, so there is my bias.  Have a look at this article everyone.  

http://inequality.org/minimum-wage/

Don't want to say much until this is read and discussed but I will say that I think salaries should be capped.  The pie we are all eating isn't infinite.  As the wealth continues upward the bubble will bust and collapse under its' own weight.  When the richest of the rich have it all, where will we be then?  Off with their heads?  Seems to me a fairly plain thing to see.. if the guys at the top would let a nice chunk back down to the bottom, will they not just turn around and spend that money on the goods and services they are selling in the first place, sending that some of that money right back to them?  Hell they may even be able to walk out of starbucks one day without being asked for their spare change.  

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service