Saw this excellent blog post - “The story of the crucifixion of Jesus? Not that big a deal. Here a... at Galileo Unchained, which seems like a pretty good atheist blog.
The ten points are -
1. Sure, death sucks, but why single out this one?
2. What about that whole hell thing?
3. Jesus didn’t even die
4. Taking on the sin vs. removal of sin aren’t symmetric
5. The reason behind the sacrifice—mankind’s original sin—makes no sense
6. Jesus made a sacrifice—big deal
7. What is left for God to forgive?
8. The Jesus story isn’t even remarkable within mythology
9. The Bible itself rejects God’s savage “justice.”
10. The entire story is incoherent
You can read them in detail over at the original post.
What do you guys think about them?
Sounds like he was at Occupy Wall Street.
I enjoyed the link in your OP Akshay, thanks. I liked the part under number ten where he says "Why create people that he knew would be destined for eternal torment?"
I know when something like that is said, Christians love to chyme in an say "Free will! Free will!" No, a more fitting thing to explain it would be "ill will", but of course, this a too simple and reasonable answer for them to accept.
I think you nailed it.
Not me, I just copied the main points from a blog post.
Thought it was too good not to be shared here.