"Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers." (NIV)

Can we discuss everything that is wrong with this verse? My boyfriend's brother just got this tattooed on his hand (*eyeroll*) and I've been graciously explaining why that verse might actually come off as misogynistic to some ladies.

Its helpful to look at the preceding verses for context, which are:

"1 Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2 when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. 3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, 6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear."

Looking forward to the discussion! Thanks!

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"...might come off as misogynistic".   Um, call me a feminist but I'm not sure how you could see that any other way.

The bible is choc-full of this.  Here's a lovely one from 1 Corinthians:

14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. 14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Good luck with that.

Lol. Wow! The Bible never ceases to amaze. Its funny, I was brainwashed in AWANAS, VBS, Bible Camps, etc, and I never once saw one of these verses until after I lost faith.
I'm in the same boat...funny how they don't talk about these verses at church, eh? It's almost like they were trying to hide something from us.

Or this jewel

“Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.”–Paul, 1 Timothy 2:11-12

Proof I say, proof it is all the fault of women!!
I have tried to get my wife to go for that, hasn't worked for me. :)

One has to wonder if biblical statements such as this were not so much to preempt a female opinion or as a result of women's opinions themselves.

Man - The lord works in mysterious ways

Woman - sounds like bupkis

"funny how they don't talk about these verses at church, eh?"

Why would they need to?

"It's almost like they were trying to hide something from us."

How could they hide it from you when you are able to crack the book open and read these verses yourself?

"I never once saw one of these verses until after I lost faith."

Perhaps you never looked nor had reason to.

Why do Episcopaleans, Anglicans, United Methodists and so on have female ordained ministers?

Why do Catholics allow women to read verses from the bible to the congregation during Mass? There are groups, by the way, who are camapigning for ordained female Catholic priests

Why don't all christian women dress like nuns or Amish women?

What was different about the culture in which these verses were written compared to our culture today?

I was raised with the impression that the Bible was for the preachers to interpret and bring the message to us. For a long time, it never occurred to me to read the Bible. [It also never occurred to me that their were other "practicing" religions in the world, like Islam, Hindu, ect...I just thought you were either a believer in Christ or you were an unbeliever/demon atheist] I will also say that I had a student Bible which just gave all the good stuff and left all the bad stuff out and during Bible studies, we would learn through print outs from the church not the actual Bible.
However, it is when I did start to read/study the Bible [around the ages of 17-18] that I realized it was just a pile of shit with a shiny bow on top.

"Perhaps you never looked nor had reason to." You're right in that I was never looking, nor did I ever question the words in the Bible until the end. BUT, if I had seen a verse like that, I would have at least scratched my head at it for awhile and asked someone to rationalize it for me.  My point was that in today's society they only focus a woman's attention on uplifting verses and NEVER approach these others.

They would need to talk about those verses if they feel that everything in the Bible is true.  /shrug

Why do they have female ordained ministers?  Well, since it goes against the teaching of the Bible, it would seem that some people feel the morality taught in the Bible is wrong.  They have the guts to rebel a tiny bit against its injustice, but not enough to break from the mold.  Why do Catholics "allow" women to read verses?  Your use of the word "allow" halts any argument in favor of their action.  

Your use of the word "allow" halts any argument in favor of their action.  

"Allow" was used in the context of the comments regarding the verses cited. In other words, the comments seem to indicate that a verse such as "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak" is a mandate, rule, or law and the opposite of "not permitted" is " to allow." It was not intended to be offensive. I apoligize if I have offended. I considered rewording the question to, "why do Catholics 'permit' women to read verses from the bible to the congregation during Mass?" "Permit" being more accurately the opposite of "not permitted," but that may also be offensive. So, perhaps I may reword the question to: "Why do women read verses from the bible to the congregation during Catholic Mass if "it is not permitted unto them to speak?"

"Well, since it goes against the teaching of the Bible,"

Again one ought to consider the historical context of these verses. Let's look at the question again: What was different about the culture in which these verses were written compared to our culture today?

At the risk of leading the witness, why do female reporters sometimes wear a head covering or hijab when reporting from a muslim country?

"it would seem that some people feel the morality taught in the Bible is wrong. They have the guts to rebel a tiny bit against its injustice, but not enough to break from the mold."

Perhaps we may want to consider Galatians 3:26-29

There are obvious differences between the cultures of then and today, but as Biblical morality ought to transcend time and culture, any difference is irrelevant.

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Cato Rigas 9 hours ago. 2 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 10 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 11 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service