All Discussions Tagged 'will' (12)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Is free will compatible with determinism?

I recently read a book called Freedom Evolves by the philosopher Daniel Dennett. In it, he puts forward the idea that free will is compatib…

Started by Simon Mathews

146 Oct 12
Reply by Unseen

Adopted "-isms"

What school of thought do you identify most with, and why? I'm just beginning to look at philosophy, and find humanism attractive (AC Grayl…

Started by Renee

10 Jan 22
Reply by Kairan Nierde

Comments on the famous John Dillon Haynes experiment?

First of all, watch this BBC video about the experiment which seems to pretty conclusively show that real decisions are not done in the con…

Started by Unseen

52 Aug 6, 2013
Reply by Pope Beanie

A Question for the Religious Folks Here

A close-knit ultra-Orthodox Jewish community in Brooklyn was plunged into a new round of mourning Monday by the death of a baby who was del…

Started by Unseen

46 Mar 6, 2013
Reply by Dale Headley

Dualism and Monism from an Atheistic viewpoint

Preface – this discussion originated in another thread which can be viewed here: http://www.thinkatheist.com/forum/topics/fellow-atheists-w

Started by Anon

50 Feb 1, 2013
Reply by Anon

Would you lie to ensure a financial inheritance comes your way?

Hypothetically speaking, if you were given a choice to make what would ensure your financial independence but went against your personal co…

Started by Ed

36 Oct 20, 2012
Reply by Sarah

Are we just holograms in a reality which is merely an illusion?

When you pound your head on the wall (something I'm sure we all do several times a day), did you know that your head never touches the wall…

Started by Unseen

6 Jul 19, 2012
Reply by All And One

Free Will

We all want to believe in free will, don't we? We want to feel that we consciously choose what we do, and that other people do as well. As…

Started by Unseen

5 Aug 7, 2011
Reply by Unseen

Is atheism included in God's ultimate plan? Any Christians please riddle me this...

I was deep in thought today at work, and remembered how I was told that I 'was formed in my mother's womb by God himself.'  Here is Psalm 1…

Started by Merlin Mercer

37 Jul 5, 2011
Reply by Michael

Free Will vs Gods plan, or not

so one of the reasons atheists say god doesn't exist is that he has no referance to time. so he is both in the past and in the future (with…

Started by Berty

14 Apr 22, 2011
Reply by Nelson

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service