Philosophy (72)

Featured Discussions

The Problem of Omniscience

I I were God, I'd know the entire history of the universe forever, future as well as past, I'd also know in advance every one of my own act…

Started by UnseenLatest Reply

Who Are Your Favorite Philosophers?

For me, Schopenhauer, Bentham, Hume and Singer, hands down, all because of their clear consistent views on ethics, and their rational and /…

Started by Michael Sizer-WattLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

The Problem of Omniscience

I I were God, I'd know the entire history of the universe forever, future as well as past, I'd also know in advance every one of my own act…

Started by Unseen

64 Jul 3
Reply by Unseen

The impossibility of AI

When I was in college, I had a lot of computer science and psychology majors as friends and they all seemed starry-eyedly fascinated with (…

Started by Unseen

85 Jul 3
Reply by FormerlyBornAgain

Property is theft. If it isn't, how?

One of the war cries of the anarchist Jean-Pierre Proudhon is his famous dictum "Property is theft!" In a nutshell and very simplified it g…

Started by Unseen

38 May 1
Reply by Unseen

An atheist has to be a moral/ethical relativist

When it comes to value theory (ethics and aesthetics) one has a binary choice. Either such value judgments as "This is good/bad" or "That i…

Started by Unseen

267 Mar 17
Reply by Noel

Knowledge, Belief, Certainty, and Mistakes

What is knowledge? What is a belief? What does it mean t be certain or to make a mistake? These are more complicated matters than most peop…

Started by Unseen

16 Dec 17, 2014
Reply by Ed

LAW AND DISORDER

I sent a copy of my collection of poems and essays, Could a “Heat Death” be Necessary for Life? to New Mexico physicist and writer, Dave Th…

Started by Mike Donohoe

6 Dec 6, 2014
Reply by Unseen

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Intelligent self awareness baffles me sometimes.  The universe has, literally, slammed enough atoms and molecules together for long enough…

Started by Roy Plisko

82 Nov 25, 2014
Reply by _Robert_

What's gained by being an atheist (not religious)

I'm an atheist because, to quote HItchens, it is the 'only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance' . But, as I view myse…

Started by CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

65 Oct 16, 2014
Reply by Cato (Kaito) Rigas

Seven Proofs for the Natural Immortality of the Human Soul

This was circulating among some christian friends on facebook...and I found it quite disturbing.  Wanted to share.   I was disturbed mostly…

Started by Lisa Lark

94 Jul 6, 2014
Reply by Tom Sarbeck

What did Jesus get right? And what was wrong?

On another thread, it was pointed out that we can recognize the wisdom and intelligence of certain persons in history -- Plato, Newton, Ein…

Started by Physeter

88 Jul 3, 2014
Reply by Gallup's Mirror

RSS

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service